Purley Swimming Pool To Shut!!!

(3 Posts)
LocalEditorCroydon Wed 10-Dec-14 11:17:50

Just heard that Purley Swimming Pool is to shut in April 2015. Does anyone have any information about this. I know that quite a few schools in the area use it for swimming lessons so this is awful for local children.

Does anyone else have any news on this?

BeadieRussell Thu 11-Dec-14 08:08:00

I saw this too yesterday. Not a surprise unfortunately. We use the pool regularly and it has gradually been run down by the council, particulary since Waddon pool opened. There have been persistent problems with maintainence, pool temperature, often the learner pool is shut at the weekend.....The cynic in me says that this was a tactic to reduce numbers in order to justify closure.

Of course the argument will be that Waddon is lovely and new and we can all go there, but I know that it will be more difficult for my local school to get there for lessons, they currently go on the bus to keep costs down but I don't think they could get to Waddon without hiring a coach.

I also have issues with the service that Fusion (the company that runs leisure services for the council) are providing at Waddon. Despite being fairly new there are also constant maintenance issues there, and it is not uncommon for the learner pool to be shut on a Sunday morning, surely a peak time for swimming with kids?!?

LocalEditorCroydon Mon 29-Dec-14 15:41:27

There is a petition asking for Purley Pool to be saved:

surveymonkey.com/s/SavePurleyPool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now