Secondary School Nightmares

(11 Posts)
jozijozi77 Thu 25-Sep-14 09:46:00

Dear all
I'm really struggling to make the right decision with regards to secondary schools. I've been doing the rounds and schools that behave nicely on the night seem to have bad reputations locally. I wanted to know if anyone has kids currently at Edenham, Quest Academy or Langley Boys school and how they find them. My son has Aspergers but doesn't have a statement so he's just going to have to mainstream it. He's extremely sensitive and vulnerable to bullying. My mum has died recently and I'm really missing her input on this important decision. Any advice gratefully received. xx
confused

Minifingers Thu 25-Sep-14 15:13:57

Langley boys is supposed to be an outstanding school with a large intake of high achieving boys from middle class families. My understanding is that the catchment is tiny. No point agonising about it if you don't live near the school - your child won't get in.

Minifingers Thu 25-Sep-14 15:16:02

Sorry about your mum.

It's hard having an unstatemented child with Aspergers. I have a ds in year 5 with this. Dreading next year.

jozijozi77 Thu 25-Sep-14 15:31:38

Thanks. I am on the edge of the catchment for Langley but worry it's too big. Yes hidden instatemented disabilities are the pits. Good luck for next year��

AcuRenewCR8 Mon 24-Nov-14 00:57:28

Riddlesdown Collegiate - though probably not very near to you, has been very good in my experience (daughter in her GCSE year now). Kids seem to be genuinely nice and academically they are really encourage to achieve their best.

Hope to get my son in there next.

They have been very accommodating and despite the school being a very large one, the individual colleges are a manageable size. Each has their own head and overall the college is run very efficiently.

meadowquark Fri 26-Jun-15 13:55:44

Hello jozijozi. I guess you have made your decision by now? What have you decided? I am on the border of Langley catchment and also have DS with behavioural difficulties, though in Y2 only. I already worry which school would be suitable for him.

jozijozi77 Fri 26-Jun-15 14:19:51

Hi - we did get into Langley boys (eventually) which I am very optimistic about. Spoke to their special needs department yesterday and they were helpful.

meadowquark Fri 26-Jun-15 21:20:26

Thanks jozijozi. Well done. If you don't mind me asking, what is your proximity to the school? Mine is 0.855m to be precise... I hear that this year there were more applicants than ever.

jozijozi77 Fri 26-Jun-15 21:43:43

1.12 - so I think you will be fine :-)

meadowquark Fri 26-Jun-15 22:05:05

Excellent! I will sleep better for the next 3 years smile

jozijozi77 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:18:42

Lol!!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now