Relocating to Cornwall

(12 Posts)
Emese84f Fri 03-Nov-17 15:27:25

Hi everyone,
I am new to Mumsnet, joined so can ask for some information and help.
We are planning to relocate to Cornwall, possibly Truro. Cornwall is amazing, we have fallen in love when we first visited and not too later after decided we must go for it. The plan is to move in August , after the school has ended so the children (4 and 7) can start in the new school in September. We were thinking Truro or Falmouth. My only concern is that we are not British , we are Hungarian and i hear so many stories what makes me nervous and question if we are making the right decision or not.
Can you please advise me if I have anything to worry about moving there or are there any places we should avoid ?
Thank you for your help
Emese

DeadDoorpost Fri 03-Nov-17 23:00:07

I personally would avoid cambourne but that's mainly coz I have a personal dislike for the area and there's always sto4ies going round about the place. Doesn't mean they're all true but I grew up with them so it's kind of silly but there we go.
Truro can be expensive to live in though but there are plenty of schools around and Truro College in the future is also a very good college.
Falmouth can also be expensive but it is beautiful. The only concern is have for you is living close to a load of student flats design as you have young children. Sometimes they can be very loud and inconsiderate, sometimes you have amazing student neighbours. I've recently graduated from Falmouth Uni so I know what they're like but the schools there are also really lovely.

pickledparsnip Sat 04-Nov-17 09:26:29

Hi, I live in Falmouth. Didn't want to read and run. I'm off out in a mo, but will come back and reply properly later.

OrchidShmorchid Sat 04-Nov-17 16:47:49

Camborne is actually pretty great now, good value housing (well built homes as once an affluent mining area) lots of regeneration. Town centre not great but outskirts pretty good and a lot cheaper than Truro. Also close to a30. Minimal traffic issues. Lots of Hungarian and Bulgarian communities in local Reduth and Pool too.

Jesi98 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:20:34

I moved to Falmouth with my children 5 months ago. Great move for the children, lots of outdoor activities which they love - beach everyday! If you can get them in to one of the outstanding schools in falmouth even better

pickledparsnip Sun 05-Nov-17 13:15:38

I agree with DearDoorpost, I'd avoid Camborne. It's a really deprived area, and yeah the housing is cheaper but I personally wouldn't want to live there.
Truro is cheaper than Falmouth as far as I know. I absolutely love living In Falmouth, but there are loads of students here. The rental market has been flooded with student lets. Lots of my friends have been turfed out of their rental properties to make way for students. Also they're bloody noisy. Depends where you live though. They do also bring a lot to the town, so there are pros and cons.

Do you plan on renting or buying? What about work? Majority of work here is minimum wage and seasonal.

Oh but the beaches! I've never lived anywhere with so much lovely free outdoorsy stuff to do. It is an amazing place to raise kids.

Emese84f Sun 05-Nov-17 16:09:19

Thank you all on the positive comments and the info on Camborne. I have seen the cheapest house prices there, must have a reason for it. We would like to buy dear pickledparsnip if we can but not sure yet because we alright now but as you said we know the situation will change financially.... But not too worried about that, we want to move there because of the quality of life and for the kids it's gonna be a great place to grow up.
The reason we were thinking Truro because there are quiet a few good secondary schools there. Which makes me wonder how is it possible that Camborne is not that great but in the same time has a very good secondary school????
I know shouldn't be worried too much. We always lived in London where we never had any problem but once we moved to Brighton.... it was 2010 middle of the recession and OMG. We lasted 3 month and moved back to London

DeadDoorpost Sun 05-Nov-17 17:16:41

Towns can have good schools but still be terrible. St Austell is alright but we have a really crap school and a really good one.
As for secondary schools, it's not uncommon for children to travel into truro for the schools. On my routes to uni there's been several who'll travel in specifically for the Truro ones. Wouldn't be able to tell you if they were private or not but still.

Emese84f Sun 05-Nov-17 17:37:32

Oh, I see... Truro sounds perfect for me for so many reasons.
Every day when I wake up and when I gonto sleep I think about moving to Cornwall in August. Can't wait! We have been travelling around the Uk a lot and must say it is beautiful .when we visited Cornwall for the first time we fell in love and knew right away we want to live here. Even our daughter said, she wants to live there.
We will visit in January and will do proper research in all possible towns.
You know so many people say about the Cornish that they are not friendly , very closed minded people. So far every Cornish I have met or spoken to were very friendly and generally an alright person.

Trethew Mon 06-Nov-17 07:31:01

Why don’t you rent for six months and find your way around. See which area suits you best

OrchidShmorchid Mon 06-Nov-17 15:05:36

Im not surprised Camborne has a great secondary school as Camborne isn't very big (and not that bad - yes the town centre itself is pretty awful) but as its a pretty small town it is surrounded by lots of lovely little villages Penponds, Praze an Beeble, Brea, Tehidy, Illogan, Portreath etc so many lovely little places on the outskirts. We moved from Truro to Camborne a few years ago and have never been happier, we're in a lovely place, lovely smart road, close to A30 and 5 minute drive away from the town. Great schools and SO much cheaper. Just personal experience though, definitely suggest trying a few places first.

Emese84f Mon 06-Nov-17 16:13:44

Thank you for the advice, yeah sure look into that because the difference in the prices is massive. Actually where we live now is not that great in the centre either and we still like it. Try to avoid renting, don't want to move the kids around too much....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now