Helston - help!

(7 Posts)
justasec Fri 16-Dec-16 23:34:12

Hi, we're in the process of offering on a house near Helston, moving from the South East. I know the area a bit but not a lot about the schools locally - I've got one DD in yr 4, the other in year 7. But worried about moving in Y7 tbh but hoping she'll cope... Any insight into schools (what's Helston Community College like?), things to do in the area, activities (youngest is keen gymnast) and ways to get know people all gratefully accepted!

landoflostcontent Sat 17-Dec-16 07:53:21

Just seen this. Helston is a lovely place to live. I am rather old but have two grandchildren at Helston Community College (one in year 7!) and three others have passed through and seem to have survived unscathed grin

For your little gymnast there is Swallows based in Water ma Trout (behind the tanks)

Good luck with the move!

Zipstrel Sat 17-Dec-16 11:54:44

I recommend getting her on the list for Swallows gymnastics asap. There was a huge waiting list a few years back. However, Penryn Gymnastics has since opened so it might be OK now.
Can't really comment on the schools, but I do play sport with a fair few girls and teachers from Helston school and they're all very nice!

Zipstrel Sat 17-Dec-16 12:01:42

You have Flambards on your doorstep, with a soft play place attached to it. An indoor trampoline place has just opened in Redruth, there's Granite Planet (an indoor climbing wall place) in Penryn, BF Adventures (outdoor activity centre) in Halvasso, and all the usual Guides, sports clubs etc that you would find anywhere - plus all the water based sports too.

Zipstrel Sat 17-Dec-16 12:04:19

Oh, and if you're even slightly earth mothery/hippy then there is Chyan Community Field in Halvasso which does workshops, yoga, circus skills etc.
We're off to a natural tree decorations day there next week and it's free!

justasec Mon 19-Dec-16 22:57:40

Ooh thank you everyone! I am slightly hippyish so will make a note of that place. Moving is a bit daunting but looking forward to exploring such a lovely area.

PDQProperty Tue 10-Jan-17 12:50:54

Good luck with the move. Helston is a wonderful area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now