Does anyone know about the mess in Redannick Park?

(5 Posts)
thekitchenfairy Thu 06-Mar-14 21:51:05

So I live in Truro and this is my local park...

Many stories have circulated about the unholy mess it is in and what is causing it. It looks like half the park has been dug up to 'trial' drainage systems to ease potential flooding in the flatter parts of the city. SWW served the council with the notice and works carried on regardless of objections and it is cordoned off as a 'danger'.

This is a family park and the works mean it will be out of action for a while, equipment got stuck and dragging it out turned half the park to a mud bath so although SWW say the park will be open next week this seems unlikely, realistically most of it will be unusable before the summer holidays.

There are upwards of 20 local families who need this outside space, our local school uses it for valuable learning and the water being pumped out is spewing onto the adjacent allotments so it hardly seems to be solving the problem.

Does anyone know what is going on? How can we get our local parent voice heard? The workers seem to be of the opinion that it isn't really a park because facilities are basic... But it is our space and with spring coming we need it back.

So, if anyone local is reading... Can we do anything? Can we join together and tackle this? At the very least the basic facilities could do with an upgrade, courtesy of SWW perhaps?

Bluey5 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:21:31

I agree it is a total disgrace. SW water had no regard for safety carrying out work whilst some of our children were still in the park, not fencing it off, not using boards to get equipment into and out of the park. With the wet weather we have had recently anyone with half a brain could have seen what the outcome would be. There are large numbers of very unhappy children and parents, plus support from the local school. I have been in contact with Richard Budge today at Truro City Council over this. He seems a reasonable man. We need to unite and get him to meet with us and our children. The park is an eyesore. It is just not good enough!

hok1979 Thu 06-Mar-14 22:29:29

Totally agree that park is an eyesore. They need to make good, anything else is unacceptable. Put children love the park even if it is a bit basic, just having the green space to run round in and the tree to climb is much needed. Am keen to help/ support to get it sorted.

thekitchenfairy Fri 07-Mar-14 06:34:09

Bluey Richard is indeed a good bloke, very amiable and his niece uses the park a lot so he knows it is a shabby, but much loved space.

I was gutted to be told it will be July before the park is useable, it will need to be reseeded and these investigative works will take several weeks to complete I think. Wonder how long it will be unusable if it goes ahead.

This is an urban drainage system btw... Our drains hold out ok even in torrential rain... Does anyone else think this investigation might have anything to do with the new housing planned for the top of our road?? <cynical>.

Shall we aim for a Sarurday afternoon rendezvous at the entrance to the park? I can give the WBriton a call I think I have a number for their photographer there and I can give spotlight a call as their roving camera man lives in Truro to.

Now don't get me started on the language the workers are using and how rude they are being to polite enquiries from parents and children...

Thebeachismyhappyplace Sat 08-Mar-14 07:27:19

Oh no!!!! I heard that this is just the beginning and the works are just the start of a process for SWW to use the park as a soak away.

Surely if this happens this is the first stage in the park not being used as an actual park...

Also, the water being pumped out seems to be just being dumped on the allotments next door. How exactly is this helping?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now