Falmouth American Diner

(31 Posts)
lilbex81 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:38:46

Hi I have written this post already so apologies if it is somewhere else on this site! Anyway my friend is thinking of opening a American style finder near the docks and ocean bowl in Falmouth selling burgers, ribs, and really nice kids meals all fast food but fresh and as he is a super chef I know they would taste really nice also! Would anyone take there kids there as an alternative to Mc Donald's? He would also do milkshakes etc and it would all be laid out like an old fashioned diner with blues music? What does everyone think about his idea? Honest feedback appreciated.

thekitchenfairy Wed 12-Feb-14 06:52:06

That odds fantastic, just look how well Hub have done with their Box in Truro. That is an under used location but good for families taking train to beach only thing I would say is price. I think reason a hub has done so well is they kept prices reasonable, probably by being in the container and price seriously not to be looked over.

lilbex81 Wed 12-Feb-14 07:48:28

Really appreciate your input, yes def prices low as its fast food and he won't have staff costs to worry about etc. He says really tasty food doesn't have to cost or be about awards, he just wants to make good fresh food available to all in a place people feel relaxed enough to chill out, read a paper ect, and he can chat to customers as he cooks and not be hidden away in a kitchen.

thekitchenfairy Mon 17-Feb-14 06:47:27

Sounds great! Sorry for all typos, rushing and typing in haste!

There are not enough family friendly places here that can take more than a few people, and even when the weather is rubbish people still need to eat, good luck!

cornishtsar Sun 23-Feb-14 15:52:12

Has he seen Mimi's diner in stenalees? People are raving about it.

lilbex81 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:49:44

Thanks cornishsar, had a look online, that is just like what he was planning layout wise, but they are lucky enough to have the proper caravan which is so cool! Hopefully the food will make up for it though!
It will have the same layout inside and everything a diner should have burgers, ribs, southern fried chicken but also specials hopefully incorporating the fresh beautiful fish that we are so lucky to have,eg fresh fish gumbo with homemade crusty bread, blackened Cajun monkfish with clam chowder, that kind of thing. Also nice kids meals too and books, colouring sheets for them as well as milkshakes and ice cream!

cornishtsar Sun 23-Feb-14 20:18:55

Sounds fabulous!

thekitchenfairy Wed 05-Mar-14 04:12:59

Yes sounds fabulous... Keep us posted lilbex

lilbex81 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:23:46

Thanks so much for your comments, he has just had an offer accepted on the property, it will be a year yet till he has it up and running but will def keep you posted. He wants to call it the Little Red Rooster Diner and it will be near the docks in Falmouth. We really do appreciate your comments, thank you.

Thebeachismyhappyplace Sat 08-Mar-14 07:31:11

Wow that sounds great, do you mean the place next to Falmouth bowl? Often trout that was u defused, especially as so many families come off the beach starving... And we are not the only family who misses the train due to dawdling DCs!! #captiveaudience

lilbex81 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:06:19

Thank you for your thoughts Thebeachismyhappyplace. Our family are always starving on Gilly beach, not wanting to go home but the cafe is too busy (and a bit expensive) and sometimes you just can't afford to queue up and wait for food with kids who are starving!

thekitchenfairy Wed 12-Mar-14 17:53:21

haha i agree with beach
i have missed many a train, huddled in the rain with an empty flask many a time!

And yes lilbex I used to love Gylly but don't find it so great since it changed hands, tho the queues there have always been horrific and nothing worse than waiting for food with a child or 2 kicking off through hunger!!

lilbex81 Fri 14-Mar-14 20:34:40

We have had so much good feedback about a diner near the docks, we are working on a plan together but are encountering more and more problems with the sale. Its a bit risky with too many 'ifs' to make it work. We are determined though so fingers crossed!

thekitchenfairy Thu 20-Mar-14 20:34:20

Oh no, a setback already?
Do keep us posted I hope it all works out for you smile

lilbex81 Wed 02-Apr-14 12:12:57

We are just about to exchange on the property! The many problems we have faced are due to the fact the property does not include any land and all land surrounding belongs to Network Rail who have millions of rules we have to follow! Next steps fingers crossed for a successful planning application!

thekitchenfairy Wed 09-Apr-14 21:44:38

oooooh how exciting! Did you exchange?

lilbex81 Wed 23-Apr-14 23:22:06

We exchanged today! Complete on the 2nd May. We will be setting up a Facebook page so people can watch the building develop as well as the business. At the moment the building has trees growing through the roof! Watch this space as they say! .
I will try and upload a picture of the building for everyone to nosy at! Thanks everyone for the helpful input/comments

cornishtsar Wed 23-Apr-14 23:23:25

Yay! Good luck!

lilbex81 Thu 24-Apr-14 09:20:30

Thank you smile

Thebeachismyhappyplace Mon 05-May-14 16:23:47

Yay! Good luck... I am trying to work out where that is is it on the road by the small grocery store?

I think there should be a MumsNet Cornwall opening party (and discount) perhaps you can talk to the Local Ed?

lilbex81 Mon 05-May-14 21:37:01

Yes it is on Bar Road near the docks entrance and near to grocery store. Hopefully an opening party won't be too far away but still got to go through the hurdles of planning and the rules of the railway! Will put my Facebook page on when I have one as need to check/decide on name.
Thanks for your input and good ideas so much appreciated!

Mumcanknit Wed 04-Jun-14 19:49:18

I love the idea of this! Am getting more excited about our 'potential' move. Keep getting told not to count my chickens yet though. Could you pop a link to the FB page on here as I'd like to follow it.

Thanks and good luck!

lilbex81 Tue 24-Jun-14 19:49:30

Hi Mumcanknit, we are just waiting for planning and as soon as it is sorted we will set up twitter and Facebook! All is progressing well and hopefully will have an answer in the next month or so!
Thanks for your interest and really pleased you like the idea!

BadRoly Wed 25-Jun-14 22:16:10

I drive past (I think) taking the kids to swimming lessons and keep trying to see if anything is happening grin

lilbex81 Fri 27-Jun-14 22:38:59

You probably do! More behind the scenes work at the moment and a lot of cleaning, hoping to start building in September!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now