SparklyPrincess

(15 Posts)
NormaSknockers Sun 09-Aug-09 18:23:00

Hullo, hullo!

Going to start the CR plan on the 1st & DH has said I can spank use the credit card to get myself some decent trainers so just wondering if you had any suggestions of best type of trainers to buy & anything else that would be worth getting? <<clueless>>

How did you time your walking/jogging btw? Is this what the podcasts are handy for <<still clueless>>

Cheers me dear grin

MissisBoot Sun 09-Aug-09 18:42:16

ello ello

Obviously I'm not sparkly but just wanted to let you know of a trainer place where they'll watch you run and then recommend trainers to suit your feet and running style here. There supposed to be v good - they're just off cowdray avenue.

NormaSknockers Sun 09-Aug-09 18:56:19

Thanks MB might be a bit tricky for me to get there but will see if I can sweet talk DH into taking me. I may cause hysterics in there though as my run is a bit like kermit the frog grin

Going to check out the sports shops locally too but not really sure where to start!

SparklyPrincess Mon 10-Aug-09 18:14:15

Hi Norma,

You really need to get your shoes fitted properly. Your local JJB or whatever won't have a clue! Me and dh have both used She runs he runs in Bluewater, the only other place I know of is Sweatshop in Ipswich

The podcasts do the timing for you - I used either those or dh's old watch with a timer on it.

I've never heard of that place MB, thanks, will be checking it out!

SparklyPrincess Mon 10-Aug-09 18:17:11

Oh, and while you've got the credit card, get a super strength sports bra. You'll need the industrial strength ones for running, M&S have some nice ones at the moment, the good ones are the ones that say they're for distance running. I find the 'racer back' style better as the straps tend to slip on the ordinary sort.

Let me know if you want to go shopping!!

MissisBoot Mon 10-Aug-09 22:35:53

or head over to freeport and get a shock absorber bra - they've got them quite a lot cheaper there

NormaSknockers Tue 11-Aug-09 07:07:19

Sounds like it would be an idea to drag DH kicking and screaming ask DH sweetly to take me to Freeport as a starting point then!

Ah yes had forgotten about a trusty old sports bra, right have added that to my list!

I've downloaded all the podcasts & transferred them to my phone so I can listen to them which will make it easier! From the looks of things I'll be doing it at 5 in the morning with DS strapped in the pushchair to stop him waking the entire house up every day hmm Good job it's an excellent pushchair for walking/jogging!

NormaSknockers Tue 11-Aug-09 07:08:03

Sorry, Thank you

Sawyer64 Tue 11-Aug-09 16:39:18

My brother owned a Sports shop in David Lloyd Centre up until recently(he's stopped due to no free time and too much stress.)
He has stock left over that he is selling,and has very good quality trainers.

I asked him if he had Running Shoes left,but he says not,but said a good quality trainer is perfectly sufficient for your needs.

Obviously he can't fit them for you,but if you were interested,I could see if he had your size,and see what he's selling them for.

Personally speaking,I would be perfectly able to choose which trainers were fitting right,as long as I had good advice about what type of trainer to buy.Obviously I'm not a runner though,Can you tell?wink
(He used to play Tennis for Essex,so knows his stuff re: what trainers are suitable etc.for his training needs)

NormaSknockers Tue 11-Aug-09 22:20:16

Thanks Sawyer but not sure what I'm really after yet & tbh my shoe size varies from shop to shop (is it just me that has that problem??!!) but thank you

Sawyer64 Wed 12-Aug-09 21:03:22

Quite often its because alot of Trainers come in American sizes which are different.

As with normal shoes too,but some shoeshops have British Shoe Corporation sizing and others are European I believe.(frantically trying to remember my Shoeshop sales days before I was Nurse Nutter Sawyer!!)

Sawyer64 Wed 12-Aug-09 21:05:48

I believe Nike are renown for Running.Steer clear of Reebok etc. as these are just "trendy" type trainers,not much cop.

MadameCastafiore Sat 15-Aug-09 10:05:08

I would go the weatshop in Ipswich at David Lloyd - they are brilliant and have sorted out a rolling ankle problem I had by changing my running shoes - my running is faster and the residual lower back pain I had been suffering from for years has gone.

I would say from my experience and that of y husbands and our little running group that it is very very important to have good fitting RUNNING shoes if that is what you are using them for - if you are just going to do a few k every now and then by all means chuck on your old trainers but if you want to get some serious milage in and protect your knees and ankles in the process do get fitted for them properly, especially if you are doing road running.

Sweatshop is not that far and if you don't get on with the ones they fit you with they will change them for you - they video you running and slow it down and you can see how you run and then if it will cause you problems and let you try a few pairs and run in them and video you again.

New Balance, Mizuno, Saucony or Nike and Brooks are all good quality, light running shoes.

Saz126 Sat 15-Aug-09 22:10:54

I am thinking about running again! I must be mad but need to shift the baby weight somehow. MadameC, sorry a bit stressed when I saw you last week, hope you ok and please do pop round sometime x

MadameCastafiore Sun 16-Aug-09 09:25:27

Ha ha - you looked like you needed a bit of sleep!

You can run with us when you are back to normal again - we run Tue, Thur and Sunday nights and then I have started running with another friend to try and get the miles up - so Saturday and Wednesday at the moment too!

I am very good at cuddling babies so mummies can sleep so when they all back at school if you want a rest I will glady sit and cuddle and then you can sit and relax or snooze!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now