Double buggy advice please!!

(20 Posts)
Saz126 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:02:33

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a double buggy but need advice please. Am looking at one of the the Phil and Ted's but those of you that have one - is it worth the expense? (I am trying to persuade DH).
Hope you are all well, it's gone a bit quiet lately - will try and organise meet up soon. 6 weeks of no pre-school and a boisterous toddler to entertain! x

Sawyer64 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:23:19

Need Normasknockers or SP for this,as I gather there are some differences in the ranges,and things that were a problem have been updated with some models,according to the conversation between Norma and SP at one of the meetups recently.

I myself prefer the Good Ol' Maclaren Double,so I'm not much use to you.wink smile

purpleflower Fri 17-Jul-09 10:10:52

I have the really old P&T and it is definitely worth it. I can take it anywhere as it's not much bigger than a single, it's great for the bus. I tried a side by side stroller but it was horrible!

I'm happy with my dinosaur but as Sawyer said, Normasknockers is best to advise on newer ones etc. Don't forget you can get them for less on Ebay, and the resale is very good.

I managed to persuade DP by taking him to mothercare to try them out, he was unsure because of the cost at first but he thinks its great now

Saz126 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:46:17

Yes, was thinking that the side by side wouldn't be great for me if I need to use the bus.

Will try taking DH to have a look at one if I can persuade him into a trip to the shops, a hard task!

Sawyer64 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:04:33

Yes good point.It seems that alot of the buses aren't Wheelchair/Buggy friendly in Colchester.

When I had DD2 I lived in Chelmsford,and because of my C-Section I had to use the buses for 6 weeks.I loved it,the buses were frequent and outside my house.They were level with the pavement,and when I got on there was the disabled area,where I could park the double buggy and sit down.

Tried the Single Buggy in Colchester angry absolutely awful!!!!

NormaSknockers Fri 17-Jul-09 18:09:11

Hi Saz, how are you your family of 4 doing?

Ok prams, my fav topic wink

If it's a tandem you want then without a doubt go for the Phil & Teds, you won't regret it. It's by far the best tandem on the market (IMO) & it won't let you down. You can also use it as a single which comes in very handy. Lots of room in the basket, very easy to push, no problem on the bus or the train, little heavy to hoick in the boot of the car but you get used to it.

Personally I would go for new if poss as you obviously get a gurantee with it, the re-sale is excellent, I sold mine for £280 with no accessories at all.

I would recommend the Sport as opposed to the E3 or the Vibe as IMO the Sport is better with better options. I would go with either Kiddicare or Precious Little One PLO are excellent & will price match plus 10% of the difference. If you phone them & speak to Paula (who is lovely) she'll help you no end.

If you decided on a side by side then I would go for the Nipper 360 as this is the lightest & narrowest twin on the market & you can get on the bus with it.

If you need any more help please just yell grin

JentlyDoesIt Fri 17-Jul-09 20:35:33

Hi Saz How you doing?

I actually love my side-by-side - it's a Nippa 360 by Out and About. It's the narrowest one about (I think) and it's really light. I get on 99% of buses with absolutley no probs and I love the fact that the kids can both see out, rather than one staring at the others back they now hold hands over the middle bar too

But I must also admit, that I loved Norma's P&T and was quite sorry I was on hols when she sold it as I would have been sorely tempted think she did it on purpose, waited til I left the country

NormaSknockers Fri 17-Jul-09 21:08:20

LOL Jently you know me & my prams when I decide to sell I sell fast....hence me now being down to 2 & Skateless!!

Saz126 Sun 19-Jul-09 15:27:42

Thanks all for the advice. Have just ordered the P&T sport - yippee yippee, so excited!

NormaSknockers Sun 19-Jul-09 18:39:52

Woo-hoo good for you grin What colour did you get? Word of warning the instruction manual is utter pap but it's not that hard to work out once you get it all out the box, opening it can be tricky at first. Just locate the grey button on the side, push the pram down a little then push the grey button in - that's the easiest way I found...well after struggling for 10 mins & swearing at it blush

Saz126 Mon 20-Jul-09 16:28:02

Great, thanks Norma. I got a black one, loved the green but the black was at lower price. Went with PLO in the end, quite a good deal with raincover, cocoon and double seat - plus I got the pannier bags. Hope it comes soon, DS wants it now and doesn't understand that he has to wait for the postman. grin

SparklyPrincess Mon 20-Jul-09 16:36:04

The pannier bags are great - hopefully they've improved the raincover so it fits over them though!

One thing I had a LOT of trouble with though is flat tyres - generally seems to be more of an issue if you go off-road. Anyway, I got some goo from a bike shop to stop punctures, shoved that in and its been a lot better.

Impressive resale Norma! Mine's worth about tuppence, it's thorougly used and abused!

Hope you're adjusting to being a mum-of-two, Saz and hope to see you and littl'uns soon!

lucyfer2000 Mon 20-Jul-09 20:08:54

Hi Saz only just seen your message so my post is completely unnecessary but just thought that i would add that my Phil and Teds was fabulous after i had DS! and hoping that it will still be just as handy after next bubba!

Saz126 Mon 20-Jul-09 21:13:07

Delivery is tomorrow, woohoo! Oh no, forgot to get a bike pump too, as I will need to pump up the tyres won't I.

SP, doing OK at the mo, although very tired and in need of a good sleep!

Hope you are feeling well Lucyfer. Hope to catch up soon, seems like ages since I've seen you all.

NormaSknockers Tue 21-Jul-09 07:46:02

PLO are excellent & the aftercare is superb too! Sounds like an excellent deal Saz

I have to say I only pumped up my tyres 3 times in the year I had it & I used it every day, but didn't go offroad all that much, probably only once a week on average so that could well be why.

The pannier bags are brilliant although I always found them to wide so I had these shipped over from that website. Worked out to be about £40 in total including shipping. They go on the back of each seat & were really fab, when I sold them on one sold for £40 shock!

SP I was really chuffed when it sold for that price, enabled me to get my new 3 wheeler & have money left over!

Saz126 Thu 23-Jul-09 15:31:55

Ooh might have to get those bags too!

SparklyPrincess Thu 23-Jul-09 17:13:51

Saz - I've got a snuggle and snooze for my P&Ts that you're welcome to if you want it. (Cozy toes thing!) It's red, though! Won't be able to shoehorn DD2 into it by the winter, and she won't

I found the cocoon, though great for babies, didn't last very long. I think only about 8 or 9 weeks with DD2. Although she was HUGE so you might get a bit longer out of it.

I'll pop it round some time if you want it (and probably sneak in for a cuddle ... with the baby, in case that's not clear!)

Saz126 Thu 23-Jul-09 21:23:22

Yes please SP, that would be fab! Please pop round for a cuddle when you can. Are you around the week after next? Will host a meet up then for all as haven't hosted for a while.
Everything was delivered with the P&T except the cocoon which is due to come next week so will have even less use out of it! Have made do with an old carrycot instead and DD slept like a dream in there today for 3 hours. DS loves the P&T and has now decided that he doesn't want to walk anywhere!

SparklyPrincess Thu 23-Jul-09 22:05:39

I've got a cocoon as well! - let me know if you need it. Yes, I'm around that week (that's the 5th-ish?) so will see you then

NormaSknockers Fri 24-Jul-09 08:11:47

I think I was quite lucky with cocoon as DS was in that til 5 & a half months shock He is a short arse of small build though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now