Is Abberton Reservoir a good place to go?

(20 Posts)
WibblyPigRocks Fri 12-Jun-09 14:05:03

Can you go for a walk with your buggy? Can you eat a picnic?

Thanks!

Sawyer64 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:26:56

Sorry don't know anything about this place.

Just wanted to mention The Discovery park at Braintree.Has anyone been?

We have been a couple of times lately,its near the Tesco's in Notley Garden Village(all signposted)
Its great,all wide open spaces with hills,and paths,and "adventure playground" type roundabouts,slides swings etc. all made out of wood and suitable for toddlers to teens.Theres also a big sandpit area with a fort,and pulleys to lift up buckets of sand.

Theres plenty of places to picnic,and theres a very nice cafe for food,homemade cakes and icecreams.

All free except the parking which at £2.00 all day is not a problem.

<<sorry for Hijack.>>

Mung Fri 12-Jun-09 20:41:57

I would second the Discovery Park...its really great. You can also park in Tescos if you really want to and walk over.

I go to Abberton quite regularly, but we always do activities that are organised there. I haven't walked all that far, but the bits I have walked on would be a bit difficult for a buggy. You can eat just outside the visitor centre and there are a few places where you can have a picnic.

SparklyPrincess goes to Fingeringhoe quite a lot, so she may be able to recommend that place instead.

Are you new to the area? If you are, there is always HIghwoods, which is ideal for picnics and you can manage with a buggy (SP and I did it once when it was quite muddy).

Mung Fri 12-Jun-09 20:42:51

I would like to go on the adventure playground at Braintree without children, its really great.

MadameCastafiore Fri 12-Jun-09 22:25:32

But you can't take your bloody dog - after driving all the way down there and getting lost! angry comsidering our dog shits itself when it sees a bloody sparrow it really wouldn't be going after any ducks anytime son!

pooter Sat 13-Jun-09 17:53:25

ooh, that braintree thing sounds brilliant - will give that a go - perhaps this sun! Ta Sawyer!

Sawyer64 Sun 14-Jun-09 18:12:54

We have just come back from Easton Park Farm which was really good.

I'm more used to Marsh Farm,but I thought this was much better.

Lots of Farm animals to see,an adventure playground,Pony Rides,Horse and Cart Rides,Tractor rides etc.

You are allowed in the pens to feed the goats,and the pony ride is suitable for 2yr olds upwards as they have a shetland pony.

Lots of picnic areas,and indoor playareas.

Nice cafe too.Quite reasonable admission,we got a family ticket for £23 (4 of us) and that included 2 tickets for 8 rides each on anything.smile

WibblyPigRocks Sun 14-Jun-09 19:41:18

Thanks for all these suggestions. I've driven past the Braintree place a few times and never realised it was so fab! We'll definitely take a trip there soon.

pooter Sun 14-Jun-09 20:31:33

we tried the braintree place today - our satnav took us on a mystery tour, then by the time we reached it, the place was HEAVING with people, and we thought - bugger this - and went for lunch at a garden centre. DS was very happy looking at teh animals and playing on the slide smile

Sawyer64 Sun 14-Jun-09 21:56:40

Oh thats a shame Pooter,have to try it again sometime now you know where it is.

To be honest,my first visit I had to park in the overflow car park as it was very busy,but as its so vast,it didn't seem too packed once we were in there.

Saz126 Mon 15-Jun-09 10:03:18

Hi all, we also went on mystery tour trying to find discovery centre yesterday - for some reason I thought it was at White Notley but finally found it at Great Notley. Wasn't too packed inside when we got there and DS loved it, had to drag him away. Bargain for £2. Might try Easton Park Farm next week if bubs hasn't made an appearance - you should get commission Sawyer!

pooter Mon 15-Jun-09 11:00:17

ooh, thats good to know Saz - i will take DS during the week sometime, now i kind of know where it is! We went to Easton last year, but i think DS was a bit young to enjoy it fully, and i was a bit shock at the price. It seemed an awfully long drive, but perhaps that was because my PILs were with me wink

pooter Mon 15-Jun-09 15:31:11

well, we have just returned from a trip to the Discovery centre! It was really good smile. I managed to get lost again blush and still dont know if i could find my way a third time, but it was great and DS loved it! I made the mistake of not taking a pushchair or toddler rucksack, so i ended up carrying him over half the way round, although a the activity sites he was so excited he ran from one to another! He loved the little wooden houses. You can also hire bikes there, but you need either your pass port or driving licence with you. Think that may be our 'family fun' activity for next week sorted.

Thanks for mentioning it Sawyer.

MadameCastafiore Mon 15-Jun-09 16:29:04

Take your own lunch to Easton - £3.50 for a roll and I don't mind paying top dollar for decent food but you could buy a cheaper roll in Selfridges!

Old McDonalds Farm is also good - better than Marsh Farm which I find has a few too many undesirable people there.

MissisBoot Mon 15-Jun-09 17:01:28

If you go to Easton Farm when the farmers market is on you don't have to pay an entrance fee so get to buy lots of lovely food with the savings!

Sawyer64 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:10:42

No problems Pooter,glad you enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the fact it appealed to my 13yr old DS and both the DD's.Not many places that I can take them that will do that.

Except the Splash park at Maldon,thats worth a visit too.smile

Didn't try the cafe as we took a picnic MC. Nice to know though.

SparklyPrincess Wed 17-Jun-09 20:32:31

In answer to the original question!

We've been to Abberton a few times, there's not much walking to be done there but there's a boardwalk bit that would be fine for a buggy and picnic tables outside the centre.

Fingringhoe is also nice, more to explore. Quite a few picnic tables and you can get around with a buggy although probably not a little stroller. There's one path with steps but just ask them where not to go, they're really helpful there.

Perhaps we should all go up to the place at Braintree together one day? I've been meaning to go again now that its warmer.

pooter Thu 18-Jun-09 12:21:25

Thats a great idea SP - how about one thursday sometime?

SparklyPrincess Thu 18-Jun-09 15:31:52

Sounds great - I'm busy/away for a couple of weeks (no, I'm not camping before anyone asks!!) so how about penciling in the 16th July??

I can fit a carless mum with a couple of kids if anyone needs a lift.

Sawyer64 Thu 18-Jun-09 22:01:08

Me too! I can take a Carless mum,I can supply a 6mths+ Carseat,or a 3+ Carseat too.smile

If the 16th July is a Thursday,I can do that too.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now