Colchester Vs Harwich Birth

(18 Posts)
rrrayray Fri 25-Jul-08 10:03:42

My midwife visit yesterday was lovely, she was an absolute Gem. Young, called Sophie, but i now have a spanner in the works. i assumed as thats what people seemed to have assumed for me that i would just give birth at colchester general hosp. but i hadnt really known, being new to the area, that there is a midwife led unit in hariwch, which is closer to where we are, in Wix.

So now i am prob going to recieve my antenatal care at harwich, i'm just considering where i should give birth though. A more personal, active midwife led delivery does appeal to me, but i am slightly concerned at my pain tolerence, i class myself in the whimp category, so i don't know if its wise to not have access to an epidural?

Anyone given birth at harwich? Any second + timers fancy offering some advice! i know its early days, but its buzzing around in my head!

purpleflower Fri 25-Jul-08 10:08:30

Hi, my SIL gave birth in Harwich first time and is planning to this time too. She said it was really nice there.

Hope it all goes well for you

purpleflower Fri 25-Jul-08 10:09:35

Forgot to add I gave birth in Colchester and had no problems although if all goes to plan I'm having a home birth this time

rrrayray Fri 25-Jul-08 10:12:15

ah thanks purple, at least i've got a thumbs up for both then. i guess its just down to my personal preference then!

purpleflower Fri 25-Jul-08 10:22:46

I haven't seen harwich but my SIL does really talk highly of it. They had to keep my nephew in for a day or 2 and she had a private room. I don't think it's as busy as colchester.

Good Luck.

MrsMagooo Fri 25-Jul-08 11:49:50

You coulddo what I did, give birth at Colchester then transfer immediately.

I transferred to Clacton with DD as that's nearer to us - it was bliss.

DD was born at 4:21am & by 7am I was settled in a lovely bed in Clacton, we transferred straight from the delivery suit.

You have to take yourself by car but definately worth it.

Tbh Colchester are so busy if you do deliver there & tell them you want to transfer to Harwich they will be chuffed!

I'm either going to come straight home from delivery suit or transfer to Clacton when Little Man FINALLY decides to come out!!

rrrayray Fri 25-Jul-08 13:48:23

Thanks for all your wisdom ladies.

i have decided to transfer my antenatal care to harwich regardless. So at my 16 week appt i'm going to look around and i can make a more informed decission then!

Purple, i'm liking the sound of not so busy, and private room! Music to my ears!!!

Mrsmagooo sorry to hear your little man doesn't want to come out. i can't imagine being heavily pregnant with the Actual summer weather we're experiencing at the moment!!

JentlyDoesIt Fri 25-Jul-08 15:51:24

GO TO HARWICH! Sorry to shout but have recently had DD (baby no 2) in Colchester and it was carnage. The midwives are absoloutely doing their best but they really were over run. Myself and another girl who was on baby no3 had to help out the other girls on the ward.

My friend had her baby in Colchester then immediately went to Harwich - she said it was like a hotel, the midwives were fab, helped loads in the night and could really spend time with her, which unfortunately they just can't do in Colchester at the moment.

Point to note though, if Colchester gets really really busy, they shut Harwich to transfer the midwives to help out. It's very rare this happens though.

MrsMagooo Fri 25-Jul-08 16:12:52

Have to agree with Jently - my recent expereince on the ward was not a pleasent one - they were just soooooooooo busy they couldn't cope & I was left on my own for 12 hours without so much as anyone sticking their head round the corner (I was in as having premature labour).

Having said that I cannot fault the Delivery Suite - it is excellent!

Just the aftercare there is awful

rrrayray Fri 25-Jul-08 18:04:00

I think i'm decided then, as a first-timer, whilst the delivery of course is important, i'd be terrified at the idea of being left high and dry to fend for myself.

Harwich it is, i guess like you said if harwich was shut, i Too would be forced to go to Colchester. But you cannot plan for things that are beyond your control.

Thanks v. much for your opinions ladies, they are MUCH appreciated!!

pooter Fri 25-Jul-08 19:29:43

ooh, Harwich sounds lovely! Makes me want to have another baby to try and make a decent job of the birth this time. I delivered in colchester, and yes, people there are nice, but i was left on my own a lot, and didnt feel they had enough time for me.

they took ds away from me to get his blood tested (im rhesus neg) and they didnt bring him back for AGES i was getting distraught.

And purpleflower - are you pregnant???? i didnt know!

sophierosie Fri 25-Jul-08 19:54:56

I had dd in Colchester three years ago and they were brilliant - looked after dd during the night and really helped me establish bf as well. They also changed dd's nappies for me as I was less than mobile!

Sad to hear that the staffing is not what it should be now - Harwich sounds lovely though!

purpleflower Fri 25-Jul-08 22:30:32

Yes I am pooter, 31 weeks!!

pooter Fri 25-Jul-08 23:09:12

NO FLIPPIN WAY!!!! i only saw you on monday and you are tiny!! congratulations! grin

rrrayray Sat 26-Jul-08 11:06:16

Is 31 weeks and tiny possible?? I'm praying So :-D Congratulations Puruple Flower!!

xx

JentlyDoesIt Sat 26-Jul-08 16:20:37

Ahem, Rrrayray, I would suggest you did not look at my profile pics then - it would only scare you. I had enough bump for PF and you too! At 36 weeks I measured 48cm

purpleflower Sat 26-Jul-08 23:44:55

Thanks for the congratulations, I don't feel tiny smile I'm about the same as I was with DS and he was 8lb 4. Got a feeling this one will be bigger.

rrrayray Thu 14-Aug-08 10:16:43

today is my first midwife appt at Harwich. Bit worried am going to get told off for being 16 weeks and still not gaining any weight.

Think only natural after how sick i was- still trying to get back to normal.

Will i hear babys hearbeat today? Hope so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now