Suggestions for a nice, quiet neighbourhood

(33 Posts)
lotuseener Wed 02-Jul-08 11:59:26

Hi Colchester moms-

Dh, ds (17 months) and I are completely fed-up with where we are living and are looking to move within the next 6 weeks.

As to not hurt anyone's feelings, let's just say I live in the yuckiest part of Colchester with the worst reputation.

Yesterday my neighbour told be I was "ignit" (ignorant I think she meant) for leaving the garden gate open because the Gypsies will come and nick her garden gnomes.

We would prefer somewhere in the Highwoods area of Colchester, as my husband is at the University of Essex and we share 1 car.It doesn't neccesarily have to be Highwoods, but does anyone suggest any nice, quiet neighbourhoods where rent on a 2 bedroom would be around 600 pcm?

Thanks!

Mung Wed 02-Jul-08 19:50:59

New Town is fab. Easy for the uni, can even cycle.

St Johns may be cheaper than Highwoods, and I am not sure Highwoods is all that great.

Wivenhoe is great too.

Sawyer64 Wed 02-Jul-08 21:44:48

Myland is nice too.Up Northern Approach Road.
We moved here from Chelmsford,last January. It seems strange to say it,maybe SP will agree?... But despite the new houses here,it feels like a village as we have a Park,Village Hall with Playgroup, 2 Churches and "corner shop",and Family Pub.

Train Station within walking distance,and good bus service.(Wasted as a nurse,should have been an Estate Agent!)

Plenty houses to rent up here too.....Roads they are in are Hakewill Way,Dickenson Road,Wallace Road etc. HTH.smile

purpleflower Wed 02-Jul-08 21:55:32

From what I've heard Highwoods isn't the greatest place to live but then I'm on White City and We are happy here. Myland does look nice as does St Johns.

Have you seen any on rightmove you like?

Sawyer64 Wed 02-Jul-08 22:10:31

There does seem (like most places I guess) to be some nice areas in Highwoods.Not too close to Tesco,is better I think.My ExChildminder lived in a very nice road,didn't have any problems I believe.

lotuseener Wed 02-Jul-08 22:29:17

Thanks! I have seen some rentals in New Town, I will look into it. Haven't thought about Myland, and forgot all about St. Johns, so lots more options now.
I will check out right move.

I am so excited about moving out of my horrid flat!

purpleflower Wed 02-Jul-08 23:04:57

I think the nicer parts of highwoods are expensive. There are some massive posh houses there. The flats that I looked at were tiny!!

lotuseener Thu 03-Jul-08 11:53:33

Does anyone have any advice about private landlords vs. letting agencies? We've only had 1 private landlord since we've been in the UK and he's been fab. I have no experience with letting agencies.

Mung Thu 03-Jul-08 14:38:06

My only experience was with Essex and Suffolk lettings and they were horrible at the end. No help at all and it felt like they were working more for the home owner than us. The owner was actually really lovely and we just bypassed the agency and went straight to her.

JentlyDoesIt Thu 03-Jul-08 14:44:36

Hiya, my SIL is a landlord and has a 2 bed flat in Old heath (unfortunately she also has tenants). This might be a good part of town for you as it is close to the Uni and there is a bus from Old heath rd which goes straight there. Old Heath road, Barnhall Avenue, that sort of area. We live round there and I really like it (we moved from an extremely yucky part of Colchester too) Sorry, don't know about the rent prices but the Essex County Standard should help with that.

Fenn Wright are nice people in the letting Dept from what I've heard.

purpleflower Thu 03-Jul-08 14:59:48

I rent from Boydens at the moment. We have been with them for 6 months. They don't seem too bad. They do inspect every three months which not all agencies do (we have an inspection tomorrow) I have prviously rented from East Anglian and they weren't fantastic.

If you fancy moving to Sudbury I know a fantastic letting agents lol.

Mung Thu 03-Jul-08 15:03:29

I know someone that uses Boydens to rent out their houses. They like the work they do and they seem fair.

purpleflower Thu 03-Jul-08 15:33:06

this looks nice but not sure about the agency. I just had a quick look on rightmove and there are lots of 2 beds under 600 all over colchester.

Mung Thu 03-Jul-08 21:36:06

When I dealt with P&P when we were looking to buy a house, I was really impressed. That was the sales department though and not lettings. That would be a great location for the uni and for town, trains and buses.

lotuseener Fri 04-Jul-08 11:17:29

Thanks purpleflower, I've just emailed them for info on that house.

I really hope we can afford to rent a house and never live in a flat again!!

purpleflower Fri 04-Jul-08 12:31:39

Thats no problem, I love looking for houses although I hate moving smile

There are a lot of 2 bed houses here

I like this

lotuseener Mon 07-Jul-08 14:47:25

Wow- just found out that Essex and Suffolk Lettiung agency charges 1 1/2 months rent for deposit + a 250.00 pound fee +plus VAT!!!

To move into a 575 pound a month house we'd have to come up with over 1100 pounds just to move in!!!

Impossible!!

Sawyer64 Mon 07-Jul-08 16:02:21

I remember this when I rented,but what I'd forgotten is I got one months rent from old house returned to me which helped me pay the new deposit.

purpleflower Mon 07-Jul-08 17:55:50

I pay £550 a month and I think paid a £650 deposit, I'm not sure about the fees but I think it was around £150. Thats with Boydens.

That's one of the main reasons I hate moving. After moving 6 times in 5 years I have told DP that we are staying put for a long time now smile.

Mung Mon 07-Jul-08 20:01:47

I also remember having to really fight with Essex and Suffolk to get the deposit back. I think thats why its so much cheaper to go with a private landlord.

lotuseener Tue 08-Jul-08 11:57:25

Yeah, Essex and Suffolk seems to not be the best choice of letting agencies. Unfortunately there are not very many private lettings on the market right now. Too make things more complicated we need something at least partly furnished, if not fully furnished. I am spending every day looking for something, I hope the right home becomes available!

rrrayray Fri 11-Jul-08 11:15:37

We just moved to Colchester in jan, and jumped in a flat on Groves Close, just off Mile End while we looked for our house. Nice area, V. Quiet, yet Station Close. But being new to colchester, I'm afraid i can't help you with the area, but i CAN help you with letting Agents.

David Martin are Shocking, and i would avoid at ALL Costs. They were the letting agents for the above mentioned flat. In Freezing jan our (brand new flat's) hot water tank leaked, and we were left without hot water for nearly TWO weeks. Thank goodness not pg then!

On a happier note- Fennwrights are Fantastic, polite, attentive, and above all- Do the job their suposed to!

Happy hunting to find your new home!

ps, with reference to deposit, ALWAYS makesure the inventory is accurate,Record any inaccuracies, and then ensure letting agent sign AFTER you have noted them, then unless you have done something, there shouldnt be a prob getting your deposit back.

Dior Fri 11-Jul-08 11:19:30

Message withdrawn

Onlyaphase Fri 11-Jul-08 11:25:09

I rented from Haarts in Colchester last year and they (and landlord) were useless. Felt I was doing their job for them at times

Also they will want month and a half in rent as a deposit, plus lots of other little bits and pieces as fees so to be avoided if possible

lotuseener Fri 11-Jul-08 16:49:23

Well, we are viewing 2 houses tomorrow. One is on Albert St, a tiny strret off of N Station Rd, and one is near the bottom of Ipswich Road. The letting agency is Beresfords.

Haarts has not inpressed me so far. Very unprofessional imo. They haven't reponded to my emails, haven't rang back when they said they would, etc. Plus they are ridiculously expensive. Hopefully we'll like what we see tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now