Good baby or toddler groups in Colchester

(58 Posts)
SparklyPrincess Mon 01-Oct-07 14:46:33

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Colchester soon (hopefully soon, anyway, rather depends on solicitors now!) and I'm going to be on the hunt for groups to keep my littl'uns entertained...

I've got a 6 month old girl and a 2 year old girl (yep, mad, I know!).

Would be really interested in music groups (wary of jo jingles tho' majorly bad experience with one here...) or crafty groups.

North Colchester would be ideal, I'm moving to the Myland end of town, but don't mind travelling a little way.

Also, is there a 'buggyfit' type class - exercise with babies in the buggy? Castle park would be perfect for that? If not, would anyone be interested as I may be able to persuade a trainer to start one up...

Enough questions do you think?? smile

SparklyPrincess Sat 26-Apr-08 16:49:00

On the subject of Toddler groups...

We went to the Little Bugs Club at Fingringhoe Wick yesterday and it was excellent. Spent an hour tramping round the woods finding bugs and letting DD1 harass them into a tray with a paintbrush, then went back to the centre for drinks and snacks, a couple of songs and a story. There's also a picnic area there so you can take lunch.

Will be going next week (pox permitting...) and will probably try out the group at the Natural History Museum on Thursday morning.

Has anyone else been to any groups they'd recommend in the last few months?

Would still love a really arty, crafty one. DD1 really enjoys that sort of stuff but gets easily distracted if there's too much playing going on around her.

Dynamicnanny Sat 26-Apr-08 17:12:18

Theres an art group in Coggeshall - but I haven't been.

St Peters Village Hall , Stoneham Street, Coggeshall, Essex, CO6 1QG

Telephone: 01376 563640/ 564426
Email: ian_lindsey@hotmail.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sessions are 2-3pm every Wednesday.

Parent/carers can have a hands on experience and let us worry about the mess!!

Little spacecraft arts and craft adventure
For preschoolers 1-5.

Fun, friendly arts and craft sessions where all little explorers can get messy and creative with our weekly themed crafty activities.
Recent themes have included space, fairies & wizards and crazy creatures!!

Anyone know what Wednesday wrigglers is like? and is it £3 per person or £3 for an adult and 2 little ones grin as I am taking my two charges there Weds morning.

SparklyPrincess Sat 26-Apr-08 17:44:00

Hi Dynamic Nanny, thanks for the info on the Coggeshall group. Shall check it out... If anyone knows one in Colchester that would be fantastic as I like to walk to my groups - makes it more of an outing somehow!

Wednesday Wrigglers is good. Quite a calm group, which I like. How old are the LO's? I pay £3 for my 2 1/2 year old and I don't pay for the 1 yr old yet as she's not really getting involved! Not sure how much longer I'll be able to pull that one though! I think its £5 for two children that are actually playing. The Friday group is a bit better for slightly older kids - they do playdough as well as stories, singing and dancing.

I may be going on Wednesday, not sure at the moment. DD1 is starting to get a bit bored with it and I can't be bothered with chasing her around!

Dynamicnanny Sat 26-Apr-08 18:34:16

The 2 I nanny for are just turned 4 and almost 2, so guess I will have to pay grin I might see you there - have you tried the mercury group on a tuesday that looks like fun too!

SparklyPrincess Mon 28-Apr-08 16:42:12

Haven't tried the mercury group ... it'll be ok as long as they don't expect me to be dramatic as well - I might have a shyness attack!

Probably won't be around on Wednesday. Have to be in Chelmsford for lunch and it's all a bit of a rush! Me, lazy? 'Course not ... [hmmm]

pooter Mon 28-Apr-08 17:34:36

ooh i was thinking of trying the mercury parent and toddler dance thingy. I think ds may be a little young (14m) but he dances to The Archers theme song blush and when i play my one song on the piano, plus he likes to twirl and make himself dizzy. Anyone been? Whats the age range like?

lucyfer2000 Mon 28-Apr-08 21:23:06

Hey SP! That little bugs thing sounds sooo cool! I wish i had Fridays off, maybe i will have to bunk off one day just so that i can go!

I won't be able to join you at the natural history thing this Thursday, as the kids have to go to the dentist!! but shall see you in the PM i guess!

SparklyPrincess Mon 28-Apr-08 21:31:04

Bit hacked off about the natural history thing actually, says you can't take babies! The age range is 2.5 - 4 but I'm not sure whether they class any child under that as a baby. Meant to ring them today but didn't get round to it hmm but will try and find out what that's all about. Seems a bit harsh that I can't take DD1 just cos she's got a little sister!

youngmum91 Sun 19-Oct-08 22:41:02

hi there,
im new to this site, im a 17 year old mum (please dont judge me) to an 11 month old girl and 21 weeks pregnant with my second. I need to find a group suitable for her age. i live in greenstead but will hopefully be moving soon. does anyone know where is friendly and suitable for me to taker her to get a few hours away a week.
thanks Jenna.
xx

JentlyDoesIt Mon 20-Oct-08 09:52:05

Hi youngmum

I used to live in Greenstead and there is loads going on at the Community Centre. There is a baby cafe on a tueday morning, 10 - 12, where you get nice tea and even nicer cake which I used to do with DS and loads more stuff.

The website is here

It's all funded by sure start so most of it is free! They run a creche several times a week too, for a couple of hours a time, if you need a break, but this has a small charge...

hope this helps

youngmum91 Mon 20-Oct-08 13:07:10

hi jently
thanks for that. i will check it out tomorrow morning wasnt expecting a reply this soon. ha. you have been very helpful one more question what does DS mean? i see it all over the posts but dont understand.

SparklyPrincess Mon 20-Oct-08 13:46:53

Hi youngmum - DS means dear son, so ds1 is first son, ds2 second etc. DD is daughter, DH husband and DP partner.

Welcome to mumsnet - we're not judgmental, don't worry!

Sorry, can't be of much help with groups, I'm across the other side of town and was living elsewhere when my eldest went to baby groups. Her little sister never got the chance, she just gets dragged around to toddler groups!

There's a baby group, think it's called Baby Eureka at St. Peters on North Hill at 11 am on Wednesdays. I think its 3.50. We go to the toddler session at 10 and its excellent.

SP xx

Mung Mon 20-Oct-08 13:47:27

DS means darling son...it takes a while to get used to it all.

Welcome youngmum. I hope you find this site as much of a time waster as I do smile.

Congratulations on your pregnancy...you are going to have your hands full.

I went to the baby cafe once. The cake was fab and it was good for small children. I didnt fit in as I had my DS with me who was about 20 months at the time and he just seemed to be too 'busy' for the little ones. I hope you find something worth your while.

We all meet up now and again, so you should pop along if you can.

youngmum91 Mon 20-Oct-08 16:15:02

ye i get it all now. i dont really need a time waster as i need 10 eyes on my dd at all times ha. i will be going to the baby cafe in the morning and that st peters one any more details of where it is how to get to it etc.
YM

SparklyPrincess Mon 20-Oct-08 16:22:09

Baby Eureka is at St Peters Church Hall which is at the top of north hill, just down from the high street/head street/north hill junction (by yates). You get to the hall by going down an alley next to North Hill Noodle Bar - there's normally a poster at the entrance to the alley. Don't worry about the buckets and stuff down there, it is the right way!

I know they're not fully booked for the baby group as all the babies have moved up to the toddler group! If you want to contact the lady who runs the group, Lisa, her email is: lili@india.com or phone: 01206 870150

SP xx

youngmum91 Mon 20-Oct-08 18:41:24

SP ur a life saver. finally something to get me out of the house. i wish id looked for this site sooner ha. has anyone had a problem with their babies obsession to eat paper. any paper including receipts books ANYTHING what can i do?
thanks YM
xx

Dioriffic Mon 20-Oct-08 18:46:12

Message withdrawn

MrsMagooo Mon 20-Oct-08 19:00:03

Welcome youngmum this is a lovely site & a great way to meet people & make friends.

You should try & come along to one of the meets if you can - we're a friendly bunch, promise grin

Xx

youngmum91 Mon 20-Oct-08 20:57:52

ill be going to the baby cafe tommorrow. and im going to try and make the wednesday morning one that SP posted. i like to keep very busy what meetings do you attend mrsmagooo? who will be at the ones im going to as well?
YM
xx

youngmum91 Mon 20-Oct-08 20:58:36

also can i please have more info about the baby gym?

lucyfer2000 Mon 20-Oct-08 21:03:28

Hi youngmum. I am having a meet up at my house on Thursday morning if you would like to come along. We live out in Great Horkesley - but if you can get there you would be very welcome.

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 07:41:38

gym club info here I hope that helps. I'm probably going on Friday morning to get the children really tired before taking my Mum to hospital in the afternoon. I'd be in the 18 month to 5 year group.

Saz126 Tue 21-Oct-08 09:13:25

Ooh the gym looks good Mung. I'm trying to work out if we could get there, it is the other side of Highwoods? Might be nice for a change.
Hi youngmum! Welcome to the site!

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:23:03

You can walk there from the station...its not too bad. I think you can get there through the Country Park. If you have a car seat with you I could put your DS in the front seat and you could squeeze between my two if you want.

Saz126 Tue 21-Oct-08 13:38:37

Thanks Mung. I think we will have a walk, as DS can have a run around Highwoods too and get really tired! In-laws could possibly be round Friday but if not will def give it a go this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now