New friends?

(19 Posts)
Cara86 Tue 24-Sep-13 15:46:20

Hi! I moved to Colchester almost a year ago now and I'm really finding it tough meeting new people. I have a 9 month old little lady called Poppy. I'm 27 and have put my job as a primary school teacher to one side to be a stay at home mum for a couple of years, I have found that there are a lot of hours in a day when you don't know anyone smile Is anyone around for a coffee in town? Or have any suggestions?

Cara smile

R2PeePoo Tue 24-Sep-13 16:01:13

Hi Cara,

There are a couple of playgroups I can think of:

Monday at 10am at Christchurch on Ireton Road ( off Maldon Road)

Rhyme time at the main library is several days a week. Pretty gate library do something similar. There is also an activity session on Friday mornings I think. I just asked the library staff.

Tuesdays at Eld Lane Baptist Church upstairs, they have a signboard outside with dates and times, think they have one another day too, when your little one is two they do Brightsparks downstairs.

There is a playgroup at the church by Qds and wilkinsons, down the side road by the zebra crossing. I think it's Wednesday at 10am, but you might want to check.

My kids are older now and at nursery/school, but if you want to meet up one day for a coffee to have some grown up conversation I can do that.

Cara86 Fri 27-Sep-13 15:10:10

Hi R2PeePoo,

Thank you for your help! I go to rhyme time and used to go to the Baptist church before Poppy decided that their group time was going to be her nap time :| I will check out your other suggestions too. May well take you up on that coffee, grown up conversation is a luxury these days smile

R2PeePoo Sat 28-Sep-13 08:55:33

Please do, I remember all to clearly what its like. I was new to Colchester myself a few years ago and got very lonely at times.

LocalEditorColchester Wed 02-Oct-13 21:42:04

Hi there, over the coming weeks and months I'm going to be looking for Local Ambassadors to help set up regular real-life meet ups such as coffee mornings for other interested Mumsnetters in the Colchester & Harwich area. Is this something you'd be interested in attending or even volunteering as an LA?

Cara86 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:08:51

I wouldn't mind volunteering as a LA...

LocalEditorColchester Mon 07-Oct-13 20:12:22

Thanks Cara - I have PMed you!

NestMaker Mon 21-Oct-13 21:30:59

Hi Cara, I'm in a similar situation after moving here a couple of years ago and now have a 7 month old girl. I've given up work for a while and it's... umm... different!

Would love to meet other mums for brew and maybe cake

Cara86 Wed 30-Oct-13 20:59:47

Hi nest maker!
Sorry I didn't see your message! Poppy and I would love to meet for a coffee, is town good for you? Cafe sala could be a good option as they have toys and rooms just for little ones (so we can concentrate on cake ;) ) obviously anyone else who would like to come for a chat is welcome too.

Cara x (and poppy of course)

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 07-Nov-13 13:22:19

Hi all,

I'd love a brew and cake too! I moved here in 2009 and have a 15 mo DS but all my friends and family live in SE London/Kent so I get quite lonely as I only work 2 days now.

Sally

LocalEditorColchester Fri 08-Nov-13 19:58:51

Hello hello AnnoyedByAlfieBear! Thank goodness someone has come to say hello and kick away the tumbleweed on this talk board! Sign up on the Meets ups page for the next Colchester meet up. It's just a very small group at the moment which is quite nice for new faces as it's not very overwhelming. Our last meet up was in a lovely coffee shop in town with a kiddy friendly area upstairs and fab coffee and cake. If you add yourself to the meet up list we'll let you know when the next one is. Looking forward to meeting you. Katie grin

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 11-Nov-13 21:59:42

Will do! smile

NestMaker Tue 12-Nov-13 19:40:56

Hello, I've joined the meet up group, hope to meet you all soon smile

SwiftSwift Tue 31-Dec-13 16:23:15

Could someone link to the meet up group please? I've looked with no success. This place is a maze.

natjayem Wed 01-Jan-14 20:54:22

Hiya everyone, I am 32 I have a 12 year old daughter and a 15 month old son. I am a single Mum looking to make new friends so anyone fancy meeting for a cuppa :-)

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 08-Jan-14 21:22:55

Hi NatJayEm, check out the meet pages. There's one planned for Friday.

SwiftSwift Fri 31-Jan-14 22:08:40

Oh, shame I missed that then as it seems no one saw my question. .

Where are these meets being planned? The only 'meet up' section I can see is under 'mums net stuff' yet I can't see anything at all about Colchester in there?

4m4nd4 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:25:40

Here they are; local.mumsnet.com/colchester-harwich/group-meet-ups/colchester

SwiftSwift Sat 15-Feb-14 07:44:02

Thanks. On a mobile there is no link to that meet up section. I can see it now I'm on my laptop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now