Moving to Coggeshall/Kelvedon - help with preschools!

(13 Posts)
BeenLivingAbroad Fri 23-Sep-11 13:37:09

I am currently living in Sweden but will be moving back to the UK in the next few months. We are looking to move to Coggeshall/Kelvedon. As well as trying to find a house, I also need to try and find a preschool place for my almost 3 1/2 year old boy.
I know which ones are there, but I'd like to know you're experiences with them before I try and arrange a viewing.
And also which primary school does your littles go to - Coggeshall or Kelvedon and what do you think of them?

Saz126 Sun 25-Sep-11 23:13:41

Hi, I've sent you a private message. Good Luck with your move! S

Grumpla Sun 25-Sep-11 23:30:32

I have relatives there, Coggeshall is lovely! And very handy for London. I'm a bit jealous actually.

I've taken DS along to the playgroup in the village hall a couple of times when we've been visiting too, there are some nice friendly mums there - might be worth dropping in if you are house-hunting on the right day, as lots of them probably have older school-age kids as well, could give you some insider knowledge smile

BeenLivingAbroad Wed 28-Sep-11 20:51:55

Thanks for the info. We are coming back soon to house hunt and look at schools/pre schools so if I get chance I'll try to go to the playgroup.

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Oct-11 18:41:43

We live in Kelvedon and are selling our house at the moment!!

Live 3 minutes from the primary school where Kelvedon and Feering preschool is based.

I would be careful where you buy in Coggeshall - we very nearly bought a house which we were consistently told was not flooding when it had on numerous occasions.

Both my kids went/go to St Mary's which is in Kelvedon - it has better ratings than St Peters in Coggeshall and both of mine did/are doing really well there.

Kelvedon is better too if you need to commute to London - there is a community bus that goes from Coggeshall but DH goes to work before it starts running in the morning so it really is a bit useless unless you can get into work a bit later than most of the poepe I know need to.

Coggeshall is also extremely cliquey apparently too!

Please do feel free to get in touch when you do move here or if you want any info with regards to the surroundings - I have a few friends who have kids who will be in your son's year at school and it may be nice for you to know some of the mums before you come here - regardless of what school you end up choosing.

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Oct-11 18:42:48

Saz is lovely by the way although she walks for miles each day I think - backwards and forewards and backwards and forewards!!!! grin

BeenLivingAbroad Mon 10-Oct-11 12:35:56

Thanks for the advice. We're planning on renting first to make sure it's where we want to live. We're flying back on Wednesday and have appointments to see both the primary schools, a pre school and a couple of houses. Also gives us chance to look round the areas a bit more. My husbands parents liv in Colchester which is why we're looking in these areas.

Decembergirl Tue 11-Oct-11 13:21:41

I think I am following a trend here!! We too are considering moving to Coggeshall from London. I have two boys (7 and 8) We want to be able to give them more freedom and a better quality of life. I was brought up in a tiny village in Lincolnshire and my husband was brought up in Saffron Walden and I just don't like the idea of the boys growing up in London. Saying that, we are terrified of making the wrong move!! My biggest fear is the school.....nothing against the school in Coggeshall but I love the school my boys attend at the moment. If there is anyone out there who has any information/advice on the junior schools in the area, I would really appreciate it. Also if there are any mums who have made the move, please let me know how you are doing. Thanks so much DGx

MadameCastafiore Fri 14-Oct-11 20:07:26

Hi Decembergirl - we moved from Kent up to Kelvedon four and a half years ago and love it. I have more friends than I have had anywhere else that I have lived, the kids have both settled into the local school which is brilliant and I have a great job at the local hospital and DH commutes into town.

Houses in the area are nice and you do get quite a lot for your money.

DH and I and the kids are so glad that we moved here, countryside lovely, locals lovely, shopping easy as Colchester is quite big and there is a waitrose there and a John Lewis opening in Chelmsford soon.

Maldon and Aldburgh aren't too far away and make for excellent days out, as do Frinton and Colchester Zoo and, well loads of lovely things to do with the kids. Cycle rides, blackberry picking in the lanes, fruit picking at local famrs.

DH has an allotment and grows his own veg, there are loads of clubs for the kids around here and a lovely beaver/cub/scout group and rainbows/brownies/guides. Wehave a village carnival each year and Feering which is the next village up has a lovely fete.

I could go on and on about how idyllic life is up here in North Essex but youmay think I am weird so I'll stop there.

We selling our house too if you would like a big, old, beautifully presented four bedroom house - even has climbing frame and play barn in the garden and the most wonderful wallpaper with dinosaurs over it for a little boy!!

Am I doing well selling our country life??

MadameCastafiore Fri 14-Oct-11 20:08:48

Oh St Marys is better than ST Peters or the school in Coggeshall and they all feed into Honywood which is the local comp which has outstanding offstead reports - DD has just started there and loves it.

DS is in year 2 at St Merys and is doing fabulously.

MadameCastafiore Fri 14-Oct-11 20:09:15

SOrry meant o say St Peters (in Coggeshall) or the school in Feering.

Decembergirl Sun 16-Oct-11 18:59:00

Dear madameCastafiore. Thank you so much for your response. I think you told me everything I wanted to hear. I think one of my main worries is that here in London we have everything we need for the boys apart from freedom and the desire to bring the boys up in the countryside is overtaking us. Can I ask why you are selling your house? Are you staying in the area? We are visiting the house are interested in again tomorrow and this time we are taking our boys to show them the house and the area. I really need to look into the school situation sas most people have told me that the one in KElvedon is fantastic and then one in Coggleshall is not so good but the last thing I want to do is bring the boys out to the country and then alienate everyone by sending the kids out of the village to another school......... Anyway thanks again for all your help and good luck with selling your house

MadameCastafiore Mon 17-Oct-11 10:15:04

Hi Decembergirl - we are just moving to a bigger house (hopefully if we can sell our present one).

The house you are looking at is not in the Gravel is it - we looked at it and it has problems with flooding (as most of the centre of Coggeshall does!)

Is there a reason you want to live in Coggeshall and not Kelvedon??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now