Moving to Coggeshall on Friday - any advice and friendly hellos welcome!

(31 Posts)
bowbluebell Mon 01-Nov-10 20:53:10

Hi,
We are (finally) moving to Coggeshall on Friday. I am so excited as the move from London has been a couple of years in the pipeline.
So I just thought that I'd say hello now that I'm a local and ask for any tips for places to go and avoid!
I think that it won't be too long before we venture to Baumann's. I am thinking about sending my 2 year old to Absolute Angels Montessori nursery, which I have heard good things about.
Does anyone know where I can find someone willing to come and clean for half a day a week. I'm splitting my working time between Norwich and London, so I will need someone to keep us out of squalour!
Where is good to meet people? Where do the nice, low-key, down to earth mums hang out? I'm quite friendly but scare easily!
And finally, can anyone suggest a really good hairdresser?

Thanks and hello again

Bowbluebell

salfin Sun 01-May-11 15:58:07

There does seem to be a lot on but unfortunately my youngest is at nursery most mornings but I think I will try to get to Earls Colne one Monday. I m really enjoying the 'village life' and I agree the people in Buntings are fantastic!
Like you I guess I am little reserved but I think that is mainly shyness. I am hoping once Declan starts school in September I will feel more able to start chatting to other mums.
I need to find some sort of childcare for September for a couple of hours on Monday evening and a couple of hours Tuesday morning so if you have any ideas or know of anyone...

Saz126 Mon 02-May-11 14:21:51

Hi salfin, I haven't managed to work out which mum is you! I hope you are settling in ok. Maybe we can arrange for our boys to meet outside pre-school if you would like? Even just half an hour at the playground, and I can then introduce you to other mums. I'm quite shy too but find the people here very friendly so it helps alot. x

Helzapoppin, if you ever fancy a trip to Kelvedon then it would be lovely to meet you and your DD. My DD is 22 months and a little madam!

We definitely need to start organising some more meet ups!

salfin Thu 05-May-11 21:49:30

Hi Sara,

Thanks for introducing yourself on tuesday. It would be great to meet up outside pre school too, We have 45 minutes to kill on tuesdays after the morning session as Declan attends the afternoon session too. Went to the co-op and sat in the car last week (not sure where the park is yet)! So if you are not in too much of a hurry perhaps we could take the boys to the park one week. Anyway see you next tuesday.

Sally

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-May-11 11:57:56

Don't meet up with her - she will have you trecking miles - all I ever see her do is walk!!!! (ha ha Hope you well Saz jx)

Saz126 Fri 06-May-11 14:18:47

haha MadameC! hope you are all well. x
Salfin, that would be great. We are not around next week but Tuesday 17th is good for us. There is also another Mum whose little one is in Swallows and has to wait the 45 minutes between sessions so I will try to catch her too and we'll all head off to the park (it's not far at all, just down the walk way on the other side of the road to the pre-school) Look forward to seeing you then x

Anachie Sun 24-Jun-12 14:45:29

Baumann's is hit and miss. Can be great depending who cooking. Rather neglected by Mark as he now off on TV, Radio, etc rather than running his restaurant.

The Clockhouse Tearooms does great food. The Chef cooks great food at much more reasonable prices, as you are not paying for the name like you are in Baumann's. His wife also bakes the most amazing cakes.

The Black Boy has a really friendly welcome. Good food and a lovely atmosphere when they arrange theme nights. Home made pork pies and pasties are so much better than shop bought, and a great selection of beers.

The local Indian restaurant is OK, but most people prefer the one in Kelvedon.

The ladies hairdressers are OK but arguably not worth the prices they want to charge, you can looking around find better in nearby Colchester, The local Gentlemans barber shop The Deamon Barber is great value for gents cuts, welcoming and a great part of the community, fund raising for charitable causes.

As for schools, the local primary is good on paper, but some feel the teaching is not strict enough and behaviour with some teachers not as good as it could be. A number of parents therefore send their children to Kelvedon and are happier with the results they see.The local secondary school is good, and science focused, the local school children however don't do much for their school's reputation, dropping litter in the streets and playing in the lcoal playground which is meant for younger kids and toddlers.

The local DIY shop seems to have all sorts of stuff in stock, just ask if you can't find what you are looking for. Stuff for the garden, the car, the kitchen, dry-cleaning, knive and shear sharpening. They also with order in stuff if you want something not in stock.

The local Fish and Chip shop also sells burgers, kebabs, wraps, chicken, and the most amazing pizzas. Freshly made from their own home made dough rather than pre-bought bases they are to tasty.

There is a bus service to Colchester and Chelmsford (£5.30 and £6.30 return respectively) plus a mini-bus to Kelvedon for just a £1 run by the people of Coggeshall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now