house number and street name anomalies you may have spotted

(1 Post)
patrickdavis23 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:22:22

Hello,

I have an odd request of you all!

I'm writing an article about London's mysterious topography - namely it's houses that seem to have escaped sequential numerical ordering. I was hoping any of you might be able to help me find an example or two of a house that has no relation to it's neighbours, or is linked to a completely different road by a fluke accident of history.

Particularly any similar to those detailed in the passage below - such as no 1. of a square being a long way from the rest of the square, and examples of no. 9 jumping to no. 37.

The inspiration for this article is an passage from Joseph Conrad's .The Secret Agent' which I've pasted below.

I understand the curiousness of this enquiry, so any assistance of any sort would be absolutely amazing!

Patrick

The passage:

With a turn to the left Mr Verloc pursued his way along a narrow street by the side of a yellow wall which, for some inscrutable reason, had No. 1 Chesham Square written on it in black letters. Chesham Square was at least sixty yards away, and Mr Verloc, cosmopolitan enough not to be deceived by London’s topographical mysteries, held on steadily, without a sign of surprise or indignation. At last, with business-like persistency, he reached the Square, and made diagonally for the number 10. This belonged to an imposing carriage gate in a high, clean wall between two houses, of which one rationally enough bore the number 9 and the other was numbered 37; but the fact that this last belonged to Porthill Street, a street well known in the neighbourhood, was proclaimed by an inscription placed above the ground-floor windows by whatever highly efficient authority is charged with the duty of keeping track of London’s strayed houses. Why powers are not asked of Parliament (a short act would do) for compelling those edifices to return where they belong is one of the mysteries of municipal administration. Mr Verloc did not trouble his head about it, his mission in life being the protection of the social mechanism, not its perfectionnement or even its criticism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now