Nice places to live in Cheshire

(21 Posts)
Sazzer70 Sun 03-Nov-13 12:23:44

Hi there, we are in process of moving from London to Cheshire. My husband is just about to accept a job offer in Chester. We are interested in nice places to live. Looking somewhere that has a high street, nice pubs, good things for kids to do, good schools and ideally good train links to Liverpool (my husband is originally from there) and London.
I have a B,age 7 and a G age 9 so interested in Junior and High Schools.
Plan to rent 1st and then buy.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Bramblesinforrin Sun 03-Nov-13 12:43:34

Try starting with Tarporley, Christleton, Waverton and outlying villages, Tarvin. Have a chat with the local estate agents (don't know if I'm allowed to mention names !), they should be able to advise too.

Sazzer70 Sun 03-Nov-13 15:13:01

Thanks. What are the local schools like?

Bramblesinforrin Mon 04-Nov-13 19:33:16

Very good - those listed particularly. We are spoiled for choice! Those listed also feed to good secondaries. There are other good local primaries too, of course.
Also good range of private education should that be a need.

Hollerback Mon 04-Nov-13 20:47:29

We have recently moved from London to Chester.

We chose to live in Chester itself as the villages would be a bit quiet for us, being so used to the hustle and bustle of London!

Areas in Chester we looked at were Hoole, Handbridge, Westminster Park and Newton. All great with decent schools.

The villages Brambles mention are lovely. We have friends who like living in Mollington, Pullford and Rossett so perhaps look at them?

You will be spoiled for choice, Cheshire is lovely and you will get a FAR nicer house for your money than in London!

Sazzer70 Tue 05-Nov-13 20:56:08

Hi
Thanks for both of your replies. I am a little worried
that some of the smaller villages might be a little quiet.
How did you find moving from London? Was it easy
make friends?
Many thanks
Sarah

Bramblesinforrin Tue 05-Nov-13 21:08:20

Some of the smaller villages are quiet - the ones mentioned here aren't those! However, handbridge and Hoole are very close to chester itself for the nightlife, etc, and having thriving communities and good local shops.

Hollerback Tue 05-Nov-13 21:19:30

No problems at all moving - except all our local primaries were full so DS had to stay at home for the 1st 6 weeks - eek!

It took a while to get used to the slower pace of life (DH calls it "Chestertime") but I feel so much more relaxed here than in London.

We had a few friends here already as I'm from nearby originally. We have made some friends in our street and through school and playgroups. I have had to get out and about and make an effort (eg volunteering for some stuff at school and inviting people in our street over for drinks). I know it's a cliche but people here are far more open and friendly than where we were in London.

I was worried that there would not as much to do for the DCs as there was in London. They loved all the museums, parks etc. I've been so pleasantly surprised by the fab things there are to do within a half hour drive of Chester. And a bit further on there is gorgeous North Wales.....

It's great to have 4x as much space in our house as there was in our London flat smile

Infact DH and I were saying yesterday that the only thing we miss about London are the great local restaurants!

Agree with Brambles, have a look at Hoole or Handbridge if you want to be near town or somewhere with it's own "identity".

Sazzer70 Wed 06-Nov-13 21:01:33

Thanks again. You have both certainly given me some inspiration!

Hollerback - I am glad to to hear you made friends relatively easliy. A slightly slower pace of life and more friendly people are part of why we would like to move.

Bramblesinforrin Wed 06-Nov-13 22:05:24

Party central in my village! The city is a short cab ride away for fun nights out in the restaurants, bars and clubs. Liverpool and Manchester fairly close and plenty of links with good Arts stuff in easy reach too.

Sazzer70 Thu 07-Nov-13 11:55:23

Sounds great. Which village do you live in?

CheshireEditor Tue 03-Dec-13 16:42:46

I'm in Knutsford, too far for Chester really, 1hr on a good day.

Just wanted to say that we moved from London to Cheshire about 8 years ago and have never looked back, love it here and everything it has to offer.

I do miss London from time to time but go back to get my London fix!

I hope all goes well with the move and drop me a line when you are up here as we are starting to organise meet ups etc!

cheshirekat1 Tue 10-Dec-13 12:51:08

Hi Nantwich is lovely too, depending on job etc it has rail links from Crewe and is close/easy to get north and south on m6. my hubs commutes to north of chester daily by car, 40-45mins, 90mins ish to London on train, can also get to Chester on train too. Schools apparently good but I've no direct experience of them.

Texascake Thu 27-Feb-14 21:09:29

Hi, we're in Chester, I'd second Brambles suggestions...... Hoole/upton/handbridge all good residential areas. You will be very pleased with what your money will buy. We're heading in the opposite direction...... So have the opposite issue!

CheshireKittyKat Mon 17-Mar-14 19:11:07

I would recommend Hoole / Newton, as well as being a a great area to live, they are in walking distance from the station for easy access to both Liverpool & London.

marc1983 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:46:32

Hi, me and my family are in the process of purchasing a house in Cheshire (Winsford).Can anyone offer me advise on primary schools etc for my 2 children, boys aged 7&10.I have read some horror stories on various posts but is Winsford really that bad?!?I understand that everywhere has good and bad places but should I be doubting the move?!?!? Thanks for any help you can give and a few good and bad points would be greatly recieved.

WillingtonWanderer Mon 26-Dec-16 03:59:44

Winsford can be a good place to buy in a Cheshire if you are on a budget but it is the roughest side of Chester iyswim.

It's also not as good an area for schools but if you want to be in the catchment of good schools you pay a premium.

If you let us know your rough budget and requirements we can advise Bette.

marc1983 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:01:24

Hi, thank you for the response we are looking to spend about 220k - 225k.I hear it's rough in areas but surely it's not as bad as places in the big cities etc?!?We are buying next to Knight Grange, any thoughts on there?!?Thanks for your help!!

Want2bSupermum Mon 26-Dec-16 12:35:13

Hoole and down the A56 (warrington Road) so you are close to Chester train station.

Voicesinmyear Mon 26-Dec-16 20:05:04

If that's your budget, how about something like this in Sandbach? It has some of the best High schools nationally.

Want2bSupermum Mon 26-Dec-16 23:52:31

Also look at christleton, guilden Sutton and mickle Trafford. Vicars cross and broughton are both excellent locations too.

Christleton is top of your price range and you won't have much to choose from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now