places to eat - cardiff bay. More pub lunch than fancy restaurant

(6 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Mon 29-Mar-10 22:22:31

Can anyone tell me what the Food is like in the Eli Jenkins Pub? Or if there is anywhere similar in Cardiff Bay which would serve a good pub lunch (Not Harvester) for up to a tenner a head? Needs to allow small kids too.

ta

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 30-Mar-10 22:22:49

Hmm, Eli Jenkins is just very ordinary pub food, from what I recall. Though that might be what you're after.

There's the Terra Nova, which is more bar than pub, does nicer pub food, but I don't know if they do anything for small children. Though I'd be happy to take DS in there on a lunchtime, it's right on the waterfront.

And Salt, likewise bar rather than pub, fine for kids, and I think they do children's portions.

Cosmo all you can eat Chinese buffet is actually not too bad. And very welcoming for small children.

I always used to prefer the Norwegian Church for lunch with children. Very friendly.

shangrila Sun 04-Apr-10 22:25:42

Bar cwtch? Part of Jolyons hotel, next to the Eli J. Great mock Tardis for the kids to mess around in!

MaryMotherOfManchego Wed 07-Apr-10 22:04:47

I wonder where she ended up.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Sat 11-Sep-10 18:04:33

Excuse me for gatecrashing, Cardiff crew grin

We're going to the Millenium Stadium for Monster Jam on October 9th - a 10th birthday treat for ds. There'll be dp and I, ds and two of ds's mates.

Can anyone recommend a half deent place for us to have lunch? We'd rather not go to Pizza Hut (dp and ds went last year and had to queue for an age, and iirc you can't book for such a small party).

It doesn't have to be super cheap - am happy to shell out if it's good - it's a Big Day Out for all of us. But nor does it need to be Michelin starred, iykwim.

All ideas gratefully received.

MegMez Wed 06-Jul-11 10:24:22

I'm very late in replying but just in case it's useful to someone... Terra Nova does indeed do a kids menu complete with a cardboard box with activities like colouring. It's pricier than Eli Jenkin's but very nice.

Another good pub in the Bay (especially on a nice day) is the Waterguard - it's near the Norweigan Church (which also has a lovely cafe) and has a great selection of beers, cidres and outdoor seating - my 4 and 2 year olds enjoy it as we sit outside on the grass with a ball.

As for the Millennium Stadium query - it's tricky on a busy day when there's an event at the Stadium as most pubs and restaurants get rammed. It does depend on how far you're willing to walk - maybe go a little further from the stadium - on international rugby days we tend to eat somewhere in Penarth before getting a taxi or train in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now