any advice 4 a newbie looking to move to Cardiff 4rm Llantwit Major originally 4rm midlands

(12 Posts)
modgirl Sun 19-Jul-09 20:18:20

hi, i have lived in llantwit major for nearly 2 yrs now since moving from the midlands, i am thinking of moving to cardiff as i am finding it hard to meet people and find groups to go to, and do miss the city, does anyone have any advice on what areas are good to live and to avoid around cardiff? i have a 2 1/2 yr old girl and am expecting in jan so would be looking for pre schools too. any advice would be great
thanks x0x0

bluegentoo Mon 20-Jul-09 20:13:24

Depends how much money you have to spend! Best areas for schools are anywhere in catchement for Cardiff High (Cyncoed, Lakeside and Lisvane but pretty pricey) or for Whitchurch High (Whitchurch, Rhiwbina and parts of Heath, all less expensive) or for Radyr High (Radyr, Danescourt). Areas to avoid like the plague are Ely, Llanederyn, Llanrumney, Rumney, Gabalfa, Butetown, Adamsdown, Grangetown, Pentwyn, Splott, Tremorfa and probably Fairwater. Probably best to try to avoid anywhere in Cathays High catchement area which takes in some areas of Heath and Cathays. Roath is mostly studentville. Some people like Llanishen High which takes in from Llanishen (part good/part bad)and Thornhill and also part of Heath area. Don't think this is a completely exhaustive list for Cardiff but covers a lot of areas. Good luck!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 20-Jul-09 20:31:20

Erm, just a few sweeping generalisations there...!

What kind of place are you looking for modgirl?

modgirl Mon 20-Jul-09 21:17:56

it helps alot thankyou give me a starting point.

modgirl Mon 20-Jul-09 21:31:33

well im not sure i like the quiteness of a village but love the hustle n bustle of the city so not bang in the city would be good somewhere with good schools and childrens clubs the problem im having at the moment is meeting people it feels as if im in a closeknit community and theres no room for anyone new and would like to live in an area where the kids dont stare and say ewwwww that womans dirty, cos of my colour so friendly people is a must as cardiff is my last ditch attempt to try and settle down in wales as my partner is from here. on an average income so private schools are out of the question for now. thanks for the help so far. aprieciate it.it has given me a starting point.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 20-Jul-09 21:59:01

Kids stare and call you dirty because of your colour??? shock

That's appalling. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I hope you find somewhere you like.

modgirl Mon 20-Jul-09 23:05:37

yeah, not all jst a select few and they are really young, and hopefully will see the real world at some point,lol i just cant be botherd to go through the whole stay n fight n change opinoin thing just wana get on with my life.it gets me down with the constant stares, but jst looking towards the future, thanks tho im sure the cardiff area will work out good as it seems to have alot to offer.

beanieb Mon 20-Jul-09 23:14:37

I live in splott. Have no kids yet so no idea on schools but Splott is ok.

modgirl Tue 21-Jul-09 12:39:12

thanks tiz a geat help

Anders Thu 23-Jul-09 20:55:24

This overview of areas in Cardiff seems very general and rather biased. Tremorfa and surrounding area may not be "the" places to live but I have to disagree with your comment "to be avoided like the plague" There are good and bad people in every area.
Penylan and Roath are very nice places to consider not all parts of Roath are "studentville". Lovely parks, range of house and prices, close to shops, a number of parent and toddler groups, library, community centre and good schools, (Albany Primary, it was the first primary school in Cardiff to get all 1s in its Inspection, Marlborough Infants, Marlborough Juniors and Roath Park Primary)

supersalstrawberry Thu 23-Jul-09 21:04:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BonyM Mon 27-Jul-09 08:32:25

Hi modgirl, we live in Whitchurch which is a lovely area. It has the feel of a village with a good shopping centre and lots going on for mums and little ones. We are also only ten minutes drive from Cardiff city centre with good train and bus services.

There is a lovely community playgroup in the village that my youngest daughter went to (they take them from 2.5), three very good primary schools and an excellent high school.

It is a very friendly village and quite a mixed community so don't think you'd have any problem fitting in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now