Pontcanna?

(8 Posts)
CSGrey Fri 22-Jan-16 05:43:37

We have the opportunity to move to Pontcanna but don't know the area or Wales at all! Are there lots of young families in the area? Activities for children and good nurseries? Our girls will be 2.5 years and 6 months. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

cardiffmumoftwo Fri 22-Jan-16 06:02:47

Know Cardiff well, yes it is a good area with lots of young families.
You are not very far from Sophia gardens and walkable to town.

I can't comment on schools or nursery provision. You may want to look into that as well - before you know you will be looking for schools.
Do you have an option where you can move to in Cardiff?

CSGrey Fri 22-Jan-16 10:27:21

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We're immigrating and were going to be living in Hampshire, England. My step father has a house in Pontcanna which has just become available so it would be much easier for us to rent from him which is why it's so area specific. If we're unhappy, it would be easy to move but that's where we'd be starting out if we decide to move to Wales instead of England

Salimali15 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:01:27

Pontcanna is a lovely area. It's just a 10-20 minute walk into the city centre but has a good range of boutique shops, delis, coffee shops etc. There are lots of young families there - lots of media types.

Nurseries - there are a few nearby, including St Aubins, which has good reviews.

Schools - it falls into the catchment of Severn Primary School but there are also 2 private schools very close by in Llandaff. Howell's is girls only and Cathedral is co-ed. It's worth having a look at Estyn inspection reports (Welsh equivalent of Ofsted).

CSGrey Thu 28-Jan-16 12:05:18

Thanks so much, that's very helpful! Do you know of any moms groups in the area or any on Facebook?

Madeleine2016 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:21:45

Pontcanna is great for young ones! I go to little stars playgroup at the Chinese church hall, also there's Funtime music? St Marys church hall which was good. Also stay and swim classes at Howells are excellent as you can take both children! But there's stacks of other ones. Llandaff city is a good primary and I've heard the Welsh primaries are very good too. A lot of Pontcanna also go to Radnor road

Salimali15 Sat 06-Feb-16 15:47:05

A friend goes to the Stay and Play group at Howell's School. As Madeleine said, they do a Stay and Swim group too - and a singing one, I think.

CSGrey Sun 07-Feb-16 11:33:56

Thank you so much, this is all really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now