Moving to Cardiff!

(14 Posts)
mrserichsencoleman Tue 08-Apr-14 11:02:21

Hismile
Need some help please. My husband,my self and our 19 month old son are planning to relocate to Wales( Cardiff) From Norway. My husband is English and has a few familiy members in Cardiff.As we do not now Cardiff very well I would appreciate if someone can give me some guidance of nice areas and nurseries. Thanks

goldenhand Fri 29-Aug-14 00:21:41

Hello! Just marking my place. Will reply more over the weekend!

ameliaapple Mon 01-Sep-14 13:11:38

Hi! I would say north Cardiff - Llanishen, Rhiwbina, Heath are nice areas to live in. There's a pretty good train service so getting to the city centre is easy even if you don't drive or just want to avoid the city traffic! I can't really advise on nurseries since my daughter went to one in Canton but we weren't very happy with it so i won't recommend it to you!

Good luck with the move. We relocated here from London a few years ago and really love it, such a wonderful place to live smile

columbine75 Fri 05-Sep-14 10:54:35

Velkommen til Cardiff - or Croeso y Caerdydd (in Welsh). Cardiff is a great city to live in. We live in Roath, it's got great schools, lots of parks and is walking distance to town. There are plenty of nurseries around to (my little girl went to the Creche at the university, which is fab if one of you work there as you get a tax break on the whole fee and is a very good nursery besides), apart from that, I have friends whose children went to Acorns - there are several in Cardiff and they were very satisfied. We used to live in Canton, another great area with local shops and parks - lots of friends still there. It's a little more built up than Roath, but less studenty and a bit less green (the parks are further away, or they were from where we lived) - it's a really lovely area, there's a great independent cinema called Chapter that shows lots of foreign language films, has an amazing cafe bar, and is very child friendly. Canton is also walking distance to town. Friends sent their children to St Aubin's amongst others over that side of town. I'd say on balance the schools are a little better in Roath, we're in the catchment for one of the best high schools in Cardiff, but primary schools are quite over subscribed, my daughter's school has a three form intake this year - 90 4 year olds! I think the problem is probably the same all over Cardiff. Good luck, I hope you find somewhere - please get in touch if you want any more info or need someone to show you round once you're here!

villagecorner Sat 06-Sep-14 20:10:58

Not quite Cardiff but Penarth is lovely (and has excellent schools). Nearby Dinas Powys is nice as well.

LittleRock13 Sun 15-Mar-15 21:32:37

Hi Mumsnet, hoping you might be able to help. I am planning to move to Cardiff this summer with my 2 children age 16 & 13. Have been looking at the Whitchurch area as have family close by but also wondered about Penarth as it also looks like a nice place. Need good state school that also has a sixth form. Which area would you choose?

PlumSykes Thu 26-Mar-15 18:56:27

LittleRock13, I would certainly choose Penarth over Whitchurch (I don't live in either of them, but Penarth would be my choice). Stanwell school gets really good results, and the houses there are lovely. We are in Llandaff, but when we move from here, Penarth will certainly be a possibility.

The train station means you can get into Cardiff easily, and there is the water taxi from the marina over to Cardiff Bay (or it's a 20 min walk over the barrage)

tubbyridesagain Thu 02-Apr-15 16:52:22

Hi Everyone, am very glad I checked here as DH has just been offered a job and we are also moving to Cardiff with 3yo DD asap. Friends have suggested St Fagans, Thornhill, Pontprennau, Llandaff - Penarth is probably too far south. I'm thinking best nurseries? best primary schools in those areas? We ideally want to live outside of the city, suburbia is good! What are your thoughts on these 4 areas? Or any others where young families will feel welcome! ;)

Evitta Wed 22-Apr-15 20:39:10

We are moving to Cardiff too ! Would love some information about nurseries and primaries . My son is 3.5 years old so he'll be 4 in September.
I liked Roath area and saw Roath primary school which has a nursery as well ..but I'm a little confused as how to find if the primary or nursery i'm looking is good !
My husband we'll be working close to the center ! So suggest any place that feels a good choice for a young family like us ! We also have a baby girl !

Pandawaddup Mon 03-Apr-17 07:44:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RadyrMum Tue 25-Apr-17 12:47:47

I would recommend Radyr - good primary & secondary schools, 12 minutes on the train to Cardiff town centre & has a real village feel to it.

Also has a golf club, tennis club & cricket club and is on the Taff trail (runs along the river from the valleys to Cardiff Bay so great & safe for walking & bike rides)

walkerolly97 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:03:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MovingMogul Mon 19-Jun-17 17:32:10

If we can assist with your move and or storage on arrival from Norway, please get in touch

Thanks
Paul

CasperGutman Wed 12-Jul-17 18:21:48

We live in Whitchurch, and I highly recommend it. The area on and around Heol Don and Church Road, just north of Llandaf station, is especially good, with some lovely period houses for less than you'd pay in other areas like Pontcanna.

If you drive then you'll appreciate the ease of getting out of the city -
either to commute on the M4 (this is what swung it for us, to be honest) or to get up to the Brecon Beacons on the A470 at the weekend. Parking is a heck of a lot easier than in many parts of the city; many houses have driveways, which obviously helps!

Public transport is good - there are buses into the city every few minutes, and trains from either Coryton or Llandaf stations. The latter has the better service, with trains every 10 minutes taking less than 10 minutes to reach the city centre.

There are good nurseries and schools to cover both English and Welsh medium (e.g. Acorns and Si Lwli for nurseries, Whitchurch Primary and Melin Gruffydd for primaries, Whitchurch High and Glantaf for seondaries) all within walking distance.

There are plenty of other facilities - library, churches, community centre, dance classes, scout hall, and a small but lovely park all spring to mind. The high street is great, and has an unusually wide range of options for food shopping (from Iceland to Co-op to a great independent greengrocers to two fab independent butchers), caf├ęs (from the greasy spoon to the chic options!), banks, hardware, "lifestyle accessories", greetings cards and most other things you need locally.

There's also the Forest Farm nature reserve down by the Taff, where you'll also find the Taff Trail which is a great cycling/walking route into the city, down to Cardiff Bay or north into the hills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now