Anyone there???

(13 Posts)
revelyell Mon 30-Jul-07 22:54:12

Im assuming not cos theres none registered under camden, but just in case..

Im living in kentish town, am 26, first baby due on 15 nov. none of my friends are doing the baby thing yet, in fact i wasnt planning to for many years, but of course i couldnt imagine it any other way now...!
anyway what i mean to say is ive got very few people around me that want to talk about anything baby related, let alone locally, so im putting the feelers out there...

elkiedee Tue 31-Jul-07 13:36:15

revellyell, I don't live in Camden though I do work there so I put my name on the mumsnet Local site. I had a baby at the start of May, though I post on the April 2007 postnatal because that's when he was due.

Are you doing any antenatal classes? The hospital as well as NCT should offer them, and having only had a very useful one day class, I would recommend anyone to try and do more of a course - you're entitled to paid time off work as you are for medical appointments. The NCT also sometimes does social gatherings for pregnant women as well, though obviously it's harder to go before you're off on maternity leave, and the last few weeks I didn't want to go anywhere!

Which hospital are you getting antenatal care at and/or booked in for the birth?

Have you joined/posted in the antenatal thread for your month? There will be one for babies due in November 2007.

There are lots of other people here in north London, some must live in Camden.

revelyell Thu 09-Aug-07 14:27:24

hi elkiedee
ta for your advice, i forgot i had posted here so forgot to check for ages! am looking into NCT classes tho it seems a lot to pay for just meeting people, but i will have a look at their pre and post baby meet ups too. im sure i will find company , if not now, then before the birth!

im booked with the UCH homebirth team, so ill look at doing whatever antenatal class they offer too

and yeah, im on first timers due in the last quarter and on due in november, im sure if anyone else in the area feels the same as me then we will find each other soon enough!

thanks very much... hows being a mum going for you?!

minxpinx Sun 26-Oct-08 10:04:39

Is there anyone out there now?
I have a 1 yr old who would love to go to some groups, but I don't know where they are - can anyone help?

telsa Mon 27-Oct-08 10:21:27

Hi - I know a lot about groups in Camden - I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old. Depends on what area you are in, but there are lots of things on - I am in South Camden and tend to go to things around Somers Town and Bloomsbury. Rhyme time at St Pancras Library on a Thursday morning is a very good thing. The various groups at the Coram Parents Resource Centre in Brunswick Square are great. But there are lots of other things. Name a time and an area and I'll see if I can help. Once you go to one place you can pick up leaflets about others. The Surestart listings from the Surestart offices in Somers Town and Holborn are useful and are very useful for letting you know about daily free activities.

TwinkleToes76 Mon 27-Oct-08 14:44:01

Hi Minxpinx - i have a one year old and live in (North) Camden so if you're anywhere near primrose hill/regents park/belsize park/swiss cottage i could let you know what is around here...you could also have a look at the the website www.nw3kids.co.uk which has a list of groups/activities in the area

mighoula Mon 27-Oct-08 16:05:59

minxpinx depends on where in camden you are but there's a lot of stuff in kentish town too, can let you know if it's any use

minxpinx Tue 28-Oct-08 15:45:34

Thanks - I'll check out that website. We are more at the Kentish Town side of things, but I don't mind traveling... We go to the Baby Bounce in the Library on Camden Road which is fun.
Does anyone know when the new Lewis Carrol Library near Kings X is opening?

mighoula Tue 28-Oct-08 16:47:57

there's a toy library at the kentish town community centre every monday (off brecknock road) - I think 10ish til midday and then from 1ish in the afternoon
story time at kentish town library 10.30 every wednesday
every weekday bar tuesday there's a surestart playgroup at the nw5 under fives drop in on caversham road (the blue hut), from 9am (have never got there that early myself) til midday - they even provide (free) lunch for the kids! (whenever I've been it's been home made stuff apart from once when it was plastic bread sandwiches & dodgy crisps hmm)
or the one o'clock club on the heath (gospel oak side) which doesn't actually start at one but at 10am - £1 entry per family, has indoor & outdoor stuff to do
don't know about the kings cross library..
oh and the babygym at the talacre centre on prince of wales road, 9.30 & 10.30 sessions every week day, costs about £3-4 but there's also a session at 11.30 for surestart members which is free!

TwinkleToes76 Wed 29-Oct-08 13:20:12

great (and busy) singing group called Minibeat on Mondays at St Andrews Church Hall, Whitehall Park,Archway, London N19 at 10:00am, and on Thursdays at St. Dominic's Church Hall, Southampton Road, London NW5 at 9:30am, 10:30am, 11:30am. There is also one on Friday near the royal free hosptial but this one often gets full up very quickly.

Also, there is quite a nice (calm and much quieter than most drop-ins) under 5s group at the Kentish Town City Farm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10-12 www.ktcityfarm.org.uk/events.htm and you can wonder around and see all the animals as well.

TwinkleToes76 Wed 29-Oct-08 13:24:33

ooops - wander around...

minxpinx Wed 29-Oct-08 21:06:44

thank you so so much! i can't believe how helpful you have been. Seems that there is loads of stuff going on, I must have been walking around with my head in the sand or something! the fog of motherhood...

Has anyone tried the place in Camden Square? I think that they do a drop in, but have never plucked up the courage to go.

Hopefully I'll bump into some of you on our rounds!

mighoula Wed 29-Oct-08 22:38:30

minxpinx there is LOADS on around here, you'll be spoilt for choice
haven't been to the camden square one, a bit too far for me - well, it's not that far I guess but there are other things a lot closer to me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now