I hate halloween

(14 Posts)
Notagymbunny Wed 23-Oct-13 18:36:29

I really don't like kids I don't know knocking on my door asking for sweets, I find it a really odd custom. I will not be taking DD out & if I were to it would only be to people houses I know.
I try to discourage people coming to the house by keeping the lights low & not having decorations, but still one or two still knock.

Mogz Thu 24-Oct-13 18:12:07

We had a few people who didn't want to partake in Halloween when we lived in Peterborough, they simply put a sign on the door, or at the end of the garden path/drive to say please do not knock. And the years that fell when my dad was working shifts we popped a notice up to say 'no knocking, shift worker trying to sleep!'
It worked 99.9% of the time.
I hope you have a quiet evening.

Notagymbunny Thu 24-Oct-13 20:08:05

good idea, i could modify the santa stop here sign!!

could add a picture of a (my) crying baby

I'll let you know if it works.

Mogz Thu 24-Oct-13 20:55:32

Hope it does work for you, it's really annoying to be disturbed when you're trying for some peace and quiet.
I really think trick or treating should only be done at pre arranged houses, or perhaps those that are obviously expecting it, much safer and less of a bother for neighbours.

Becketts Fri 25-Oct-13 13:39:48

We decorate our house to make it clear we're open for trick or treaters. I thought it was a given that if the outside lights are off and there are no decorations that you don't knock. We get loads of trick or treaters, one year I ran out of sweets and there were a group of teenagers sharing theirs out amongst the younger children.

I can see why it would piss people off if they want a nice quiet evening though.

Mogz Fri 25-Oct-13 14:20:42

Aww that's nice Becketts, it's a shame we don't hear more about the good things youngsters do.

Becketts Fri 25-Oct-13 14:25:42

True. There's a big debate on our local FB page at the moment about whether or not we should try and build a skatepark in the village and so many people are saying there's no point because teenagers will just trash it. sad

Mogz Fri 25-Oct-13 14:39:05

That's rotten, it's that kind of attitude that leads to self fulfilling prophesies as the kids don't feel they have anything to live up to. Give them something that is theirs, run a competition to design it and then have an open weekend to paint a big graffiti wall with a local artist. At least then everyone will know where the kids are hanging out, it can be incorporated in to the local bobby's beat a few times a day and even used as a space for small public music/dance performances if a little covered band stand is included.
I honestly think a lot of adults forget what it's like to be a kid.

4m4nd4 Fri 25-Oct-13 20:21:58

We only knock on doors with pumpkins or other Halloween decs. Where we love everyone knows each other so it work really well. I love the kids knocking here and seeing their outfits smile

Notagymbunny Fri 25-Oct-13 20:29:34

I feel like the Halloween Grinch!
I used to like them but they seemed to be getting older or is that me.....

We had carol singers around once in Nov they sang a line not a verse so i asked them what they were collecting for & they said Christmas presents... Humm at least they we're honest thlgrin needless to say they didn't get any cash

Becketts Fri 25-Oct-13 20:38:54

I love the teenage trick or treaters, trying it on for one last year even though they know they're a bit old for it grin

I only had a carol singer once, poor lad, his mates legged it when I opened the door and he struggled through half a verse of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas'. I gave him a mince pie, I don't give them money unless they're official charity singers.

Notagymbunny Sat 26-Oct-13 06:29:46

i love it when santa comes down the street with all his elves makes me think i should put the tree up.
How long till we smilieys with santa hats????

Notagymbunny Sat 02-Nov-13 15:34:28

only 1 trick or treater - result grin

I'm sad the halloween smileys have gone sad

only 1 group in the 2014 season thlbiscuit - loads of sweets for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now