dinner in Cambridge

(21 Posts)
kiwibella Thu 01-Oct-09 14:06:20

A group of my girlfriends will be coming to Cambridge soon for a girly weekend - to farewell one of our good friends. We will all be staying at the Holiday Express in Norman Way. Our friend who is leaving us chose Cambridge because she wants to go punting grin.

Can you recommend any places for us to eat (moderately priced) and any suggestions for special, don't-miss activities. Most ladies will travel by train to Cambridge so we will be relying on our feet and local taxi companies.

Lilymaid Thu 01-Oct-09 14:16:23

Have a look on ocal Secretsfor interesting reviews of local restaurants. Cambridge has most of the chain restaurants and many other moderately priced independent restaurants. If you can suggest what sort of meal you'd prefer and how much you would want to pay, it might be helpful.

kiwibella Thu 01-Oct-09 15:35:55

thanks Lilymaid... I'll have a look at your link.

I would suggest approximately £20 per head for dinner, not including drinks? We will also have lunch to consider for Saturday and Sunday. Our breakfast will be provided at the hotel.

I have been told about Orchard Tea Garden for afternoon tea. Realistically, how easy would it be to get here without our own wheels?

TrillianAstra Thu 01-Oct-09 15:40:49

You can walk to the Orchard along the river, it takes about an hour from town. Look on maps.google.co.uk to figure out the way.

I like Strada for food.

coolma Thu 01-Oct-09 15:43:23

Ooh, you're staying next to my gym! If you want to go out of town a bit - the White Hart in Fulbourn is lovely, and not too pricey. In fact for Sunday lunch it would be perfect. Hmm, no wheels though - not so easy. The Robin Hood in Cherry Hinton, just down the road is okay-ish, if a bit 'hungry horse'. However, in town, I'm not too sure - have too many children and no actual life to get out for meals!!! But if we do , we eat at the gym - I don't know if you can still get in for a meal if you're staying at the holiday inn, always used to be able to. It's very nice and very reasonable. Hope that hepls a bit!!

coolma Thu 01-Oct-09 15:44:13

Also, (on a roll here) do try and look at the colleges. It sounds a bit naff, but they really are lovely - especially kings..

TrillianAstra Thu 01-Oct-09 15:45:15

The Snug is nice and does lovely cocktails - it's not as 'lively' (loud/raucous) as the website seems to suggest.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 01-Oct-09 15:55:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lilymaid Thu 01-Oct-09 15:55:45

The Orchard at Granchester is great on a sunny afternoon but it is really a sitting out on the deck chairs experience. It is an easy walk from Cambridge city centre (just follow the crowds) and an experienced punter can punt down in less than 1.5 hours.
I'd recommend the Cafe Adriatic on Mill Road for a good meal in Cambridge. CB2 is also worth considering.

TrillianAstra Thu 01-Oct-09 16:00:37

Just remembered a lovely restaurant: Backstreet Bistro. They have lots of veggie options if anyone is veggie, and lots of meat/fish options for peple who aren't.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 01-Oct-09 16:21:55

I am particularly fond of Margherita's on bridge street lovey family run italian.

Strada is good as well, La Razza is ok, would personally steer away from the Robin hood if you are a group of girlies looking for Ca,bridge fun.

kiwibella Thu 01-Oct-09 17:44:58

thanks so much everyone. We will definately be a bunch of girlies looking for fun in Cambridge. We are all mums... excited about a weekend away. That said, two ladies will be bringing their kids hmm. Their choice grin.

I'll show my friend this link. It's her weekend so decisions will be her choice wink.

coolma Thu 01-Oct-09 18:13:48

Ooh yes, backstreet bistro. Bloody gorgeous.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 01-Oct-09 19:58:29

Oh for a lively night out and great food, I love Efes on King St. I would think the set menu would be under £20 (not including wine of course) or round about the £20 mark

<not been out much since having kids emoticon>

Atzan Fri 02-Oct-09 12:46:53

What sort of food are you looking for?

For Italian, I'd second the recommendation for La Margherita on Magdalene St/Bridge St.

Most restaurants in town are concentrated along Trumpington Street/Kings Parade (from the Fitzwilliam Museum up as far as King's College) and, just a bit further along, on Bridge Street/Magdalene Street/Quayside. If you walk along there, you'll certainly find somewhere you like.

I'd stick to the town centre though. Fulbourn and Cherry Hinton (out near your hotel) are a bit suburban/in the sticks.

NorkilyChallenged Fri 02-Oct-09 13:30:12

I agree, I wouldn't really look for somewhere in Cherry Hinton or Fulbourn, head into town. Or Mill Road which wouldn't be too far from your hotel either.

coolma Fri 02-Oct-09 21:55:40

Just an idea. sorry.

Claire2301 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:27:33

White Hart in Fulbourn is def nice. We also really like The Bridge at Calyhithe, but again a bit far out without your own wheels. Hope you enjoy your weekend

SummerLightning Fri 02-Oct-09 22:37:25

Agreed, there are loads of restaurants in town, no need to try Cherry hinton/Fulbourn.

I would also recommend Backstreet Bistro, Cafe Adriatic, CB2, Efes.

Cotto and Restaurant 22 are nice but probably a bit too pricy.

Also the 196 Meze bar on mill road but that is probably a bit far out.

Pubs, if it's nice weather, try the Cambridge Blue, Kingston Arms, Free Press.

My list is a bit Mill Road centric as I live there. There are a lot of nice places in town too. Nice to sit by the river in Henry's or similar down by Magdalene college.

I would also recommend going to colleges especially Kings.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 03-Oct-09 12:13:11

Depending on when you are doing this the punts at Granta (if they are still open) are much cheaper than Scudamores!

cazzybabs Sat 03-Oct-09 13:09:00

Oh you must walk along the river to Grantchester and have tea/cakes in the Orchard. It is about a 3/4 hour walk - but very very nice (and that is at a slow 3 year old pace)...

There some musuems if it is rainning - the Fitz is the best. My kids also like the zoology and geology musuems. There is also good shopping in Cambridge too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now