Come on Cambridge folk - where to for lunch?

(33 Posts)
thegrowlygus Thu 20-Aug-09 08:04:50

OK - I have a day off today (yippee!). No children until 1.30ish.

MIL coming over so we can go shopping in Cambridge - where shall I take her for lunch?

Would be nice to sit a while outside and watch the world go by but not essential.

I feel as though I haven't been anywhere apart from John Lewis or Giraffe and sat with (my) screaming children for eons. So where shall we go?

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Thu 20-Aug-09 08:37:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SummerLightning Thu 20-Aug-09 08:57:00

Go to the grafton and go to CB2? there's a nice outside area there.

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 09:16:24

Henrys at queyside? There are a few other choices there as well, right by the river. Food is decent enough, prices quite good. If you time it right you get to see people falling of punts as well! grin

Claire2301 Thu 20-Aug-09 09:31:19

If you could go somewhere on your way in/or way out have you tried The Bridge at Clayhithe, near Waterbeach?

Has a lovely lunch meanu- 2 courses for £7 I think. Homecooked food, on the river Cam and plenty of seating outside next to the river- a lovely setting.

If it has to be in the centre of Cambridge then Henry's is lovely.

thegrowlygus Thu 20-Aug-09 09:53:15

Thank you for suggestions - will see where we end up and let you know! Hopefully won't be Gregg's but you never know grin

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Thu 20-Aug-09 09:54:17

StripeySuit Thu 20-Aug-09 09:56:14

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 10:09:37

greggs is on fitzroy street, not that I ever frequent it grin
Enjoy your lunch thegrowlygus

Atzan Thu 20-Aug-09 14:44:31

There's a Greggs on Fitzroy St? Can't picture it. What's it next to. Not that I'd use it - I'd choose Nadia's on Burleigh St

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 14:49:06

ooh nadias <<drools and thought of cakes>>
Err greggs is oppisite the computer game shop near fair street (the cut through road to midsummer common)
Hope this helps if you ever fancy a sausage roll grin

thegrowlygus Thu 20-Aug-09 17:59:40

Ended up at Carluccio's which was good actually. We had to pick somewhere fairly quick and near grand arcade as I had to go and collect DS1 and we mistimed things a bit.

Wasn't sure where greggs was so never made it that far wink

Also managed to get sorted out for a wedding in September (although having put the whole outfit on at home I am wondering whether I actually like the dress or not!!), spend a small fortune on schooliform and get school shoes as well as unsolicited medical advice from the show fitting lady in John Lewis. As a GP I love unsolicited medical advice! But frankly, by that stage I would've bought an elephant had she said it was what all the kids had these days at school.

thegrowlygus Thu 20-Aug-09 18:00:52

Shoe fitting lady. Not show fitting.

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 18:05:19

Glad you had a good lunch Growly. I've not been to carluccio's, I must go.
I also hate shoppin for school uniform and shoes..in fact I think I purchased an elephant from a lady in John Lewis just last week...grin

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Thu 20-Aug-09 21:54:40

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:00:26

Go to the Free Press. They do lovely lunches and to die for warm brownies with ice cream.

Or go to Origin8, oposite the entrance to the Grand Arcade.

Or there's the Tudor Rose Cafe on Mill Road for traditional English fare and bloody reasonable prices for Cambridge.

Or Yippee noodle bar if you fancy that, quire reasonable prices.

Or the Cow next to Corn Exchange does the best pizza around.

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:01:33

I never see the point in going to some big chain like Carluccios when there are so many lovely independant places in Cambridge.

But glad you had a good time.

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:03:31

Greggs has only been called Greggs for a few months, they where always the Baker's Oven before that.

Fitzroy street has really gone down the pan. Along with the Grafton.

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Thu 20-Aug-09 22:07:13

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 22:15:01

ok guys does anyone know of anywhere that does a really great all day breakfast?
I'm going out on sat, earlyish but poss not early enough to catch breakfast

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:28:41

Yep the Castle on Regent's Street do a killer buffet style all you can eat breakfast for something like £6.99

I know the Castle isn't somewhere you'd go on a night out, but in the morning, for their breakfasts, they are fab!

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:29:46

Or the Tudor Roase Cafe on Mill Road, they do all Day Breakfast and the service and food are really good and affordable.

In fact, I think there are a few places on Mill Road that are good.

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 22:33:50

OMDB- Aah, yes I hadn't thought of The Castle, due to having been there in the evening once and being in hell. May go over on sat tho, is it baby freindly? I am dd (5) free but still have monster ds (9 months) with me.
I hardly ever go donw mill road, but I should more often probably, I'm always hearing good things about restaurants down there.

Overmydeadbody Thu 20-Aug-09 22:39:37

Mill Road is lovely!! I find the cafes a bit cheaper than town too.

Yes I;'d say the Castle is baby friendly, when I've gone with DS it's been quite empty and the waitresses fussed over him, warmed up a glass of milk for him and brought smaller cutlery etc.

Yep the Caste is hell at night isn';t it? I made the mistake of stumbling in here once too blush. Now I know to avoid anywhere on Regent's Street after 7pm!

serendippity Thu 20-Aug-09 22:46:38

God yes, most definatly The Regal, cheap it may be..but there is most definatly a reason for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now