independent schools

(3 Posts)
whichschooltochoose Mon 08-Jun-09 10:51:47

I am having such a dilemma where to send my dcs to school for reception in September 2010 and 2011. DS seems very bright in lots of ways (at 3.5yo he is already amazing at reading and maths) but also quite sensitive/gentle, while DD is probably more average and musical I think. If possible I want a school that will be suitable for them both.

After researching all the indie schools around here, I seem to have come up with St John's as the answer, as it sounds like a good all-rounder school, but I don't know anyone there to ask about it, so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows the school and could give me advice please? Would it suit a very bright/sensitive boy and an average/musical girl, or would it be too academic for an average child or not academic enough for the really bright one? Is it good for boys and girls alike?

Any other local schools you could suggest that might suit them better? I really appreciate any advice or tips you can give, thank you.

thegrowlygus Mon 08-Jun-09 18:23:58

DS1 starts at St John's this September so I can let you know!

We visited most of them and went with the one that we liked the most - St John's and St Faith's were our favourites. I think St John's is known for its pastoral care, and we were very impressed with the way they look after the children. DS1 is quite sensitive at times so we were keen he was looked after. It is certainly musical - what with the choir etc. I think it is good for both boys and girls. I haven't heard anything bad about it to be honest. I guess that much is obvious as otherwise DS1 wouldn't be going there! DS2 will start there in 2011. Yikes.

Oh - and I should mention we were on a waiting list for both St John's and St Faith's - both did eventually offer places but we were worried for a while, so make sure you get their names down soon.

My original thread about where to send them is lower down the page. Spelt wrong. blush That is what a private education does for you. grin

whichschooltochoose Wed 10-Jun-09 23:45:53

thegrowlygus, thank you for your advice and I do like the sound of St John's from what you say as well as what we have read. Looks as if we need to get on with contacting them to look around, as I certainly don't want to leave it until too late. Hope your DS has a great start in September!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now