Comberton village college

(5 Posts)
Busymummy50 Thu 09-Nov-17 23:45:35

Does anyone know If Comberton village college is good for a high achieving child? I have heard lots about this school being very good and also good pastoral care.

What do they do if a child is doing really well? Do they get challenged?

overmydeadbody Fri 10-Nov-17 02:55:16

Personally I am very happy with the school and think they push my children well, they focus on taking our in with and putting in lots of effort, and they get a high proportion of high achieving children at the school.

I think when my youngest started there they said in an assembly that a high proportion (I can't remember the percentage) of the new cohort achieved level 6 in their maths says at year 6.

Busymummy50 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:44:09

Thank you for the information. My eldest is able but a bit lazy and finds work boring. Youngest is very eager and loves school work and can't get enough.

I am looking for a school which could cater for both. Pushing the high achievers but also encouraging and not too pushy with the ones who are not as able but helping them to achieve what they can.

We are debating whether to leave London or not. Originally was going to move to another part of London with a good state secondary but the option of grammar school for our youngest is an option nearby.

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 10-Nov-17 17:46:58

I have had two children go through Comberton. All my neighbours' and nearby friends' children went through Comberton. They cater exceptionally well for bright children but also engage the less academic children. My two were and are very different, but the school were amazing with both of them. One of our dc had quite severe MH issues and the school's pastoral care was outstanding.

Several friends children have been to Oxbridge. My dc and most of his friends went to RG universities (if you put any store by that, personally I don't). As CVC is sited to the West of Cambridge, a high proportion of the parents are Cambridge Uni academics. DS had several friends whose mothers and fathers were senior academics, professors etc. It means their social capital is also broad - if they want work experience in a certain profession, they can usually access it via a friend's mum or dad.

I live in a village West of Cambridge, in the catchment area, and love it. But you do end up being a taxi service at times. It really helps if you live on the No 18 bus route as that means dc can stay fro after-school activities and still get themselves home.

ihatethecold Tue 21-Nov-17 15:59:46

I’m think CVC really push academic children.
I also think the pastoral care is fantastic. We need it regularly for my DD and they are always supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now