How bad is the Ely to Cambs commuter train?

(7 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Tue 07-Nov-17 11:18:25

Hi everyone,

We are relocating to Cambridge next year and have been looking at houses within a 5 mile radius of Ely. The plan would be for my husband to drive to Ely and then get the train into Cambs and his office is less than 5 mins walk from the station. He works 9-5 so I'm guessing he will be getting either the 7:56, 8:00 or 8:26 into Cambs and the 17:10 or 17:21 back to Ely.

Does anyone have experience of how crowded these particular trains are and how often they are cancelled?

Thanks

PurpleStar123 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:09:48

They are very, very busy but he will get on them but often standing room only. And the return ones are v busy too. I didn’t have much of a problem of cancelled trains when I was doing that route and even if one was cancelled, there would be another one soon afterwards.

BluebellGal Tue 07-Nov-17 19:28:16

It’s only a 15 minute journey- yes busy but better than the tube. It’s a pretty reliable, regular service. Less so on Sundays.

AddTextHere Thu 09-Nov-17 17:57:04

I'd be more concerned about finding anywhere to park... If I remember correctly, the station car park is small, Tesco`s is probably ok for 2-3 hrs only and the rest is double yellow lines.

PurpleStar123 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:59:33

There is a commuter car park on Angel Drove now which is paid for but only a few mins walk away.

didireallysaythat Thu 09-Nov-17 20:49:29

At the beginning of the week the Angel Drove car park can be full by 7:30-8:00 (missed the train into London several times..). Probably better off cycling as traffic just gets worse, never better.

PurpleStar123 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:26:54

A Brompton or similar is always a good investment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now