Y7 places independent schools

(6 Posts)
Carmel206 Sun 05-Nov-17 22:57:58

How hard is it to get a Y7 place in an independent school for September 2018 entry think the Perse is around 4 applicants to every place.
Is the situation in Stephan Perse and St Mary's around the same ?
Thank you for any information you can share.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 06-Nov-17 20:52:51

I very much doubt it.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 07-Nov-17 14:46:52

I suspect the applications for both will go up as there is a shortage of independent places in Cambridge. SP will be taking boys into year 7 and therefore is likely to attract more applicants as previously it has been girls only. This will then have a knock on effect for St Mary's who will be the only girls school so those wanting a single sex education for their daughters will only have St Mary's to cater for this need. As fewer girls get places at SP (due to boys being admitted) more people will go for The Perse and St Mary's

Biscuitsneeded Wed 08-Nov-17 22:14:37

You've obviously thought this all out, so I defer to your greater experience Allthebest. My own post was based on the fact that of all the (admittedly not vast numbers, but a few in each of my DC's year groups , plus certain other friends ) people we have known who have tried to get private school places in Year 7 after a normal primary education, the only child who didn't succeed was turned down by the Perse. I haven't ever known anyone not get in at The Leys, St Mary's Sancton Wood, King's Ely, Heritage etc. And they were not all geniuses by any stretch of the imagination! Perhaps competition will stiffen a little in the light of demographic changes for certain schools, but the bottom line must surely be that independent schools need to put bums on seats.

mastertomsmum Thu 09-Nov-17 18:11:40

The first intake of boys into Stephen Perse Senior School was September this year. We do know some people, boys and girls who didn't get an offer. Also several for Perse Upper that didn't get an offer or make the waiting list.

I dunno about The Leys. We'd never have considered it given our bad experience at it's main feeder school. The intake for Year 7 is very small, so I'm guessing they must turn some people down. We also know someone who was turned down for Heritage but it might have been shortage of spaces as this wasn't for a place in one of the regular changeover years - i.e. not Yr 7 or Y9.

On the Assessment Tests Day at Perse Upper, there seem to be loads of applicants.

Carmel206 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:32:40

Thank you all for your responses. I forgot about the Heritage School so that is also helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now