Consultation on Cambridge travel

(6 Posts)
Stillnoidea Thu 26-Oct-17 14:39:17

There is a new survey on travel options around Greater Cambridgeshire here:

www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/Greater-Cambridge-Travel-Survey-2017/

the blurb says:
The Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) have commissioned Travel for Cambridgeshire (TfC) to deliver a transport survey targeting residents, students and commuters in and around the Greater Cambridge area to help them better understand your travel needs and inform a future investment strategy in the local transport network.

This is an opportunity for YOU to have YOUR say and influence the decisions that will transform transport in Cambridge for many years to come.

Of course - as usual they don't seem to recognise that it's often not possible to replace car journeys with other transport (eg across/round Cambridge, with lots of children etc).

RockNRollNerd Sat 28-Oct-17 10:28:29

Thanks for this - have filled it out. You're exactly right that it doesn't recognise the impracticality of not using a car. I looked when I started a new role and it would cost me a small fortune to use public transport as I would have to pay for parking at station, train tickets and bus tickets for my commute to work. The journey would also take the best part of 90 mins each way (assuming all public transport ran to time!) compared to 45 mins each way by car.

BringOnTheScience Sun 29-Oct-17 20:45:26

Thank you for sharing that.

Tingalingle Mon 30-Oct-17 09:22:31

I've just done it as well. Tried to be as honest as possible (and I can feel my lack of green credentials): we would be put off driving into town, but we wouldn't get the bus, we'd go elsewhere.

We already tend to avoid Cambridge and head to other towns for heavier shopping, swimming lessons etc., but there's no avoiding it for the orthodontist, and I can't see school being very happy if that takes the best part of a day for each round trip.

I should have added something in the Comments box about the P&R sites closing at 8:30 so that we can get into town for evening events, but not home!

VeryPunny Mon 30-Oct-17 19:36:30

Done. They’ve also been to my work campus to get opinions too.

Have they figured out that people aren’t using their cars because they want to, but because there is no alternative? We’re only about 7 miles from the centre and there are no viable public transport alternatives. Park and ride sites are expensive, have to drive there anyway and full after 9:30.

Stillnoidea Thu 09-Nov-17 15:55:36

bumping...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now