Cambridge Shop/ Swap groups ?

(16 Posts)
leedeparis Sun 08-Oct-17 23:18:55

Hi mums! Please tell me, are there any local online groups/ websites etc. for shopping secondhand from other families (or other locals)? (I.e. Furniture, pots and pans, kids clothes, etc.) We're new to the UK so have no idea, and we've got a very empty house (and ill-dressed kids) in our very near future. Thanks!

milkmoustache Tue 10-Oct-17 18:10:07

There are quite a few local Facebook groups around, plus Gumtree, NCT do excellent sales for kid's clothes - there may be an autumn one coming up soon.

leedeparis Tue 10-Oct-17 19:59:38

Thanks a lot! Gumtree and NCT are definitely new to me. I did try searching Facebook using terms that I guessed, and I only found a local baby goods selling one. Probably I searched the wrong words, any clues as to the names?

milkmoustache Wed 11-Oct-17 21:08:19

You can search 'buy and sell' groups, or try for Cambridge Bay/Histon Bay, or wherever you live. If you are based more centrally than me, and don't mind foraging around charity shops, there's a great Sally Army in Mill road which has lots of stock. And for bigger items like furniture, Emmaus in Landbeach is great but you need to drive there.

leedeparis Wed 11-Oct-17 21:48:45

Oh thanks! I don't drive but I can easily get to Mill road and search 'Buy And sell"

BluebellGal Wed 11-Oct-17 23:28:06

In fulbourn (citi bus 1 or 3 from town) you will find a fantastic second hand clothing and toy shop for children. They only sell high quality items. I can afford new but prefer to buy secondhand from this shop as the quality is excellent and I am helping to save the planet. You can sell through the shop when your kids grows out of it. The shop is called “Lollipop”

BluebellGal Wed 11-Oct-17 23:34:52

The Heart Foundation charity shop near the Grafton Center is massive and has lots of furniture

leedeparis Thu 12-Oct-17 09:32:17

Cool, thanks!

leedeparis Thu 12-Oct-17 09:34:41

Thanks! Good to know, I should study the bus maps more,I didn't really realize connections outside the city were practical.

ChoccyJules Thu 12-Oct-17 22:03:28

This is one of the most active Facebook selling pages I've found: m.facebook.com/cambridgekidssite/?ref=ts&fref=ts

leedeparis Fri 13-Oct-17 09:39:40

Great, thanks!

BluebellGal Sun 15-Oct-17 00:30:56

I was in Lollipop today and purchased a Halloween costume and two tops in mint condition for £8.50

Well worth a look. There’s also an excellent fruit and veg shop. Takes 20 mins on the bus from Cambridge and Fulbourn is pleasant for a stroll. There’s also a very good soft play there.

leedeparis Sun 15-Oct-17 10:41:41

Cool, thanks!

ChoccyJules Tue 17-Oct-17 09:03:42

Am going to check out Lollipo myself, thanks.

ChoccyJules Wed 18-Oct-17 13:23:24

Well. Yesterday DD aged 5 informs me that her toes hurt when she runs in her school shoes. I send her in trainers, promising we'll to and get new shoes at halfterm. Went to Lollipop today to drop some stuff and got some for a fiver (hope they fit)! The helpfulness of MN knows no bounds.

leedeparis Wed 18-Oct-17 15:00:15

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now