Chesterton school - moving outside catchment area

(10 Posts)
quail Sat 01-Apr-17 08:14:13

My kids are really happy at Mayfield but we're moving to Histon - or rather have seen a house we like there, which will put them in the Impington catchment area. All their friends are in Mayfield & the Chesterton catchment area and will be going to Chesterton. I've studied the order of preference for kids outside the catchment area, and being in a feeder school will help a little, but it's the fourth closest school to Histon, and my 7 year old is really heartbroken now at the idea that she may not get into Chesterton with her friends. I know it wasn't over subscribed last year but in a few years, who knows. Does anyone have a similar experience, nonetheless, of trying to get into a non-catchment secondary in this area, and how easily it went? Many thanks for any advice.

WilderRose Sat 01-Apr-17 12:04:07

Are you talking about secondary schools?
IVC is a good school.
My secondary child goes to NCA and is thriving.
With your preferences, I guess you need to put CCC down as your first choice and make sure IVC is in there as your catchment school and then NCA or whatever other school you fancy as 3rd choice.
A note of reassurance- my child has primary friends at CCC and they still see each other out of school. Just because at different secondaries does not mean they cannot be friends.
Also, your child is 7. A lot can change between now and when they go to secondary... Don't panic!!

quail Sat 01-Apr-17 12:32:19

Thanks for replying! I've just noticed I didn't even mention that yes I was talking about secondary schools. We have moved quite a lot, and she's made some really close friends here. I know things change, but she was torn away from a very close best friend at her last school and has never really got over it. Yes, you're right: she will be fine; and anyone could move away and friendships with my older child change every day. I just hate to cause unnecessary pain. It's so hard to buy a house in Cambridge, there are only ever about 3 for sale!

WilderRose Sat 01-Apr-17 12:36:57

I am finding I worry far more than my children do.
Perils of being a parent!
Sure will all come out in the wash......
Good luck with the house hunt.

orchardy Sat 01-Apr-17 13:28:32

For this current year 7, everyone who wanted a Chesterton place got one. I don't know what the experience has been this year for current year 6s outside catchment, but I do know that Chesterton has been given permission to build and expand to accommodate the numbers currently in feeder primaries. It's a gamble really. Will you leave your 7 year old at Mayfield then even if you live in Histon? Might it be easier to move her to Histon primary in time to make lots of new friends and then move up with those new friends to IVC?

jaynebxl Sat 01-Apr-17 19:39:03

Not everyone got a place for this year's year 6.
Ivc is a good school and so is Histon juniors. In your shoes I'd move your dc now to the primary so they can make new local friends who they will then go t secondary with. There's a lot to be said for having local friends you can hang out with after school as you get older.

quail Sat 01-Apr-17 20:10:26

That's a very good point. I don't think either of my kids would be mad on me doing that right now, though! I haven't bought a house yet, so this is all still completely hypothetical worrying! Thanks! Thanks also for the mututal-overworrying solidarity.

orchardy Sat 01-Apr-17 20:31:53

Completely agree that older kids want to go to their catchment school. It's so important to be able to go to and from school with friends, hang out after school and shave their independence. If you're really set on Chesterton then can you hold out for a house in catchment?

orchardy Sat 01-Apr-17 21:38:12

have not shave!!

quail Sun 02-Apr-17 18:23:39

Shaving their independence will be entirely their choice! Right now, just reading rightmove 30 times a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now