What's the going rate for piano lessons?

(10 Posts)
doctorgeek Sat 25-Mar-17 08:30:37

Just wondering what the going rate for piano lessons is at the moment in Cambridge/South Cambridge? Trying to sort out some lessons but not sure what's reasonable - been quoted about £17-£20 per half hour.

Thanks in advance!

Loulou2kent Sat 25-Mar-17 09:27:24

Not in the same area. We're in Surrey and pay £18 half hour lesson for my 6 year old & my sister is 14 & hers are £20 for half hour.

BikeRider33 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:54:52

Musicians Union rates (from the website) say £32 an hour, so allowing for travel or providing the room and piano I'ld say those sound about right.

doctorgeek Tue 28-Mar-17 09:31:48

Okay, so £17-20 sounds about right then. Thanks!

GMCLaydee Tue 28-Mar-17 12:30:36

I'm in Godmanchester and I pay £10 for half an hour.

HorridHenryrule Tue 28-Mar-17 12:38:30

It depends on what the teacher wants to charge there is no going rate £15 - £20 per 30 minutes sounds right. What do you want out of the lessons, what is your goal?

doctorgeek Tue 28-Mar-17 13:53:31

They're for me - I used to play loads growing up, then moved away for uni and didn't have access to a piano. Finally have a piano again and want to get playing to a decent standard again. So I'm looking for someone to reintroduce me to music to avoid any bad habits and then to progress technically. Ultimately I'll be playing for my own personal enjoyment so not interested particularly in exams etc, but want to build a solid classical repetoire. And to play some of the Frozen songs, so my kids will think I'm amazing.

Camoosh Tue 28-Mar-17 15:58:37

Jane Wheare on Gwydir Street is really nice - she teaches adults and kids and doesn't teach towards exams - www.musicteachers.co.uk/teacher/af7d466dcc24f3ae0dba

radioactive2945032 Tue 01-Aug-17 08:59:44

Hi there, I have seen piano lesson prices vary in Cambridge from £15 to £20 per half hour, to £30 to £40 per hour depending on whether the teacher travels to you or teaches from their home space. There is a good list of teachers here: musicteacher.co.uk/piano-lessons/cambridge/ - Stephen Murphy is also a good local teacher for contemporary genres of piano (jazz, pop, rock) - www.pianolessonscambridge.com smile

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 02-Aug-17 08:47:56

My neighbour in a South Cambs village (Bourn) charges £13 per half hour. I used to pay £12 per half hour for my dc's lessons with a different teacher but that was about 4 years ago so would have gone up slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now