Independent Opticians recommendations?

(17 Posts)
Peggetty Fri 17-Feb-17 17:52:08

Would anyone recommend their optician for our family? We have had poor service and faulty specs a number of times from a city centre chain so would like a change. I have seen Taank have won a recent award, anyone used them? I'd also really like to know about the one in Cherry Hinton as that would be easiest for access and parking but they have no website or online reviews. Thanks for any advice.

MayfieldPTAer Fri 17-Feb-17 18:26:23

Anglia Ruskin eye clinic, Google it

orchardy Fri 17-Feb-17 18:44:27

Clamp optometrists. Great for eye tests, somewhat expensive for glasses but they are really thorough.

CityCentre Fri 17-Feb-17 21:43:19

Clamp has also been good for me, and I've heard good things about DH Thomas.

CamPoster Sat 18-Feb-17 11:51:53

We're happy with DH Thomas for the kids, personally I've been with Boots in Petty Cury for 15? 20? years and no complaints either (glasses and contacts)

CamPoster Sat 18-Feb-17 11:58:18

PS forgot to say DH Thomas are very thorough, recently quickly and efficiently referred DC back to Addenbrookes eye clinic where there was a slightest doubt about changes to the retina (which luckily was a false alarm). At the first appointment went through the family history in great detail (there is much short sightedness and associated issues plus glaucoma)
New glasses will take about a week, and you will most likely not end up having NHS frames, making it more expensive.

Peggetty Sat 18-Feb-17 12:45:01

Thanks everyone :-)

cammel Sat 18-Feb-17 21:18:19

We use Clamp and are very happy with them. They are pricey - adults pay for eye tests and it is more than the standard price elsewhere and their glasses are expensive too.

Peggetty Sat 18-Feb-17 23:11:16

Trying to avoid town centre so probably not Clamp. DH Thomas has a carpark so is handier than I thought. No-one used Taank then?

drayton Sun 19-Feb-17 02:36:51

Eyes of Swavesey are good, but - as you can tell from the name - are in Swavesey rather than Cambridge.

Riddo Sun 19-Feb-17 03:15:28

David Murphy are good although they only have a few parking spaces. Three generations of my family go there. They are friendly, professional and reasonably priced.

DH tried Specsavers once as they were cheaper but they couldn't get his prescription correct after three attempts so he went back to Murphys.

SeniorWranglered Sun 19-Feb-17 07:01:48

Definitely Clamp.

ChestertonCharley Mon 20-Feb-17 15:39:13

DH and DS1 use Taank and are very happy with the service. Possibly not the cheapest option though.

Ijustwanttosay Mon 20-Feb-17 18:49:24

DH Thomas really came through for me as a non-customer when my optician (who I had been with for 17 years) let me down in an emergency. So impressed with their service, and thoroughness.

Peggetty Wed 22-Feb-17 18:00:10

DH Thomas will be our first point of call, thanks all.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstoodinCamb Sun 26-Feb-17 18:41:04

David Murphy here.

Alis123 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:16:56

Taank optometrists on Mill Road has a great reputation and I have found it to be very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now