Nursery hell!!

(19 Posts)
sk505 Wed 15-Feb-17 18:50:04

We've just been told that we will be relocating to Cambridge on the 1st of May.
I have a 1 yr old who will need a nursery place. It's absolutely impossible in cambridge!! What should I do!! Where can I look in the south Cambridge area??

Peggetty Wed 15-Feb-17 21:00:59

A new colleague just got her child into Granta Park, is that possible?

fabulous01 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:02:30

Ohh. Put names down as you never know. Places may become available as circumstances change for people

sk505 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:38:10

Thankyou so much. I'm going to register at Granta park too. It's all so stressful. 😖

didireallysaythat Wed 15-Feb-17 22:40:37

Try Babraham - you might get lucky especially if you don't need every day (I think it's still open access but someone will know). I'm sure there is a nursery in sawston but don't know details. It's true that spaces can be hard to find - we put our names on the list after the 12 week scan. Addenbrookes bright horizons (?) has a mixed reputation but may have space ?

MrsLark Thu 16-Feb-17 05:21:53

You could look for a childminder instead of a nursery for your 1 year old. There's a list on the county council website and also check out childcare.co.uk.
If you know where your moving too just search close to your address or workplace for convenience.

Good luck

doctorgeek Thu 16-Feb-17 07:49:01

Babraham gives priority to Babraham Research Campus workers so if there are spaces you'll be at the bottom of the list unfortunately. Sawston is good but probably full. There's also Little Hands in Newton/Melbourne which would be worth a shot.

Where are you going to be working? Is there a nursery there?

sk505 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:14:52

We'll be living in Great Shelford and working in the city centre. If anyone knows of any nannies or childminders, do let me know.

Tingalingle Thu 16-Feb-17 10:14:09

I wouldn't fancy living in Shelford, ferrying a child over to Granta Park nursery in rush hour, and then heading into town via the 1307. That's two lots of sitting in heavy traffic, and sounds like it would negate the advantages of living in Shelford; are you definitely settling there?

doctorgeek Thu 16-Feb-17 11:30:36

What Tingalingle said - heading out of town to nursery and then attempting to fight your way in again is madness. There are a few city centre options but I am not familiar with them.

sk505 Thu 16-Feb-17 11:48:31

Yes, we will definitely be in Great Shelford. I agree, Granta park would be a silly direction to travel to. But at the moment, it looks like my only option. I've had a look around Rainbows in Trumpington, and I like it. Any personal experiences there?

CityCentre Thu 16-Feb-17 12:29:34

saw a sign about a new nursery opening in the city centre the other day - was on the edge of parkers piece (the sign was, not sure if that's actually where the nursery was, but possibly!). It was on the road that goes parallel to Regent street, few houses along it and mostly service road for the shops etc on Regent st, but it might be worth finding out the name of it and when it will open. I don't know if you'd risk a brand new nursery with no reputation, but could be worth investigating.

SahMum Thu 16-Feb-17 12:44:24

Have you tried Cambridge Montessori on Tenison Road? It is a new nursery so they might still have places. I used their nursery located in St Lukes church ( same owners ) and can not recommend it enough.

sk505 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:31:41

Thankyou so much for the tip off about the new nursery. I've just signed up, through they are not registering till late march.

didireallysaythat Thu 16-Feb-17 14:11:20

If you are looking at central nurseries, it might be worth trying to figure out what the council is going to do with the city congestion plan (I think it was rejected but I presume there's a plan B).

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/warning-over-bigger-ever-protests-12508309

NameChange30 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:35:28

Are there no nurseries or childminders in Great Shelford? I think that would be better than a central city location, traffic-wise.

NameChange30 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:45:03

www4.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/site/custom_scripts/fid/fid_results.aspx?p=Great+Shelford&t=1&age=

kedy Sun 19-Feb-17 15:17:07

Hi, we are just moving as well and my kid is starting in the new Montessori on Tenison in March smile

sk505 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:53:16

Hi Kedy,
We've signed up there too. Hoping to have confirmation tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now