FYI: total closure of Hills Road nr Addenbrooke's for five months

(7 Posts)
DorothyParker111 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:08:12

The Cambridge News has posted a story to say that, because of the installation of further cycle lanes on the bottom end of Hills Road, the road will be totally closed to traffic between the Long Rd junction and the Addenbrooke's roundabout for five months. Drivers (and most buses) will be expected to re-route via Fendon Road and Queen Edith's Way. This is a bit of the city which always teeters on the verge of gridlock and this plan will surely tip it (as well as thousands of residents) right over the edge.

There will be no further opportunities for public consultation on the plans, although there will be two public exhibitions: tomorrow lunchtime at Addenbrooke's concourse; and the evening of Thursday 26th January at St John the Evangelist church on Hills Road (opposite Homerton College). Do drop by and let the Council know what you think of their plans ...

CN link: www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/fears-gridlock-section-hills-road-12461301
City Deal link: see section D www.gccitydeal.co.uk/citydeal/info/2/transport/1/transport_projects_and_consultations/4

Perilla Mon 16-Jan-17 20:18:28

Blimey! Starting in May by the looks of it...

I think my brain's just exploded trying to work out the logistics of getting into/around town...

Happ1ness Mon 16-Jan-17 20:21:41

Great - come in from Saffron Walden, so Addenbrookes access is fine but getting DD to her diving lessons at Parkside will be fun and games.

HereIAm20 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:06:12

You just drop from the roundabout at Addenbrookes down Fendon Road to next roundabout, turn left snd then back on to Hills Road. So it is only a minor diversion and short in distance - just that is heavily used.

Happ1ness Tue 17-Jan-17 21:10:36

Thanks Here

Cammumm Thu 19-Jan-17 18:59:38

I think the CEN article is a bit misleading. If you read the detail, it says that the work overall will take 5 months, but the complete road closures aren't for all that time, just some of it, and just night time I think.

Still a pain, because the detour roads will all get gridlocked for many hours a day.

I do wonder how they'll stop people short cutting via the Addenbrooks car park to avoid the road works?

DorothyParker111 Thu 19-Jan-17 19:31:03

Sorry to correct you Cammum but the full plan is:

first there will be 8-10 weeks (Feb to April) of off-peak single lane working to join up the section north of Long Road to the Phase 1 cycleway provision (around Holbrook Road)

and then 5 months of 24/7 total closure (May-October) of Hills Road south of Long Road down to Addenbrooke's roundabout.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now