Swim Club Recs? (competitive youth swimming)

(7 Posts)
redtulips123 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:35:01

Hi, we are moving to Cambridge from USA in summer. My 13 yr old son (year 8) is a competitive swimmer. There are a number of swim clubs in the Cambridge area and surrounding villages. Does anyone know which are the more competitive swim clubs in the area? I know swim clubs can vary a lot...

We haven't picked out which area to live, but I've learned the hard way that it's really important to live near the pool -- these kids practice almost everyday of the week...

We also have a 10 yr old daughter, who loves swim racing, but does not like to make the enormous commitment to swimming 6+x per week, etc. She prefers to spend time playing team sports (mostly girls football) and hanging out with friends. So in an ideal world, we'd like a swim club that caters to both...

Work will be near Cambridge Station.

I have seen that this sub gets inundated with "we're moving to Cambridge" posts, so i do apologise for adding yet another....

Thanks for any tips here...

PippaFawcett Tue 10-Jan-17 22:28:51

Parkside Pool is your best bet. Cambridge is great, you will love it here! wink

BadToTheBone Tue 10-Jan-17 22:35:15

There's a City of Cambridge swimming club, maybe a start. Although I know Newmarket also has a club, although I only know it for its masters team.

neolar Tue 10-Jan-17 22:49:40

Cambridge swimming club at Parkside pool is near the station and takes training very seriously. We know a couple of 12 year olds who swim there 5 or 6 times a week.

DorothyParker111 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:53:13

City of Cambridge has a very competitive youth section, based at Parkside Pool or the Leys School pool, both very central: www.cocsc.org.uk/

There is also Cambridge Triathlon Club, training at Bottisham Village College pool, with open water swimming at Milton Country Park (respectively east and north of the city): www.cambridgetriathlonclub.com/concrete/index.php

Hope that helps

SiliconJen Wed 11-Jan-17 22:14:49

And Bottisham Swim Club which trains at Impington Village College and Bottisham College. www.facebook.com/bottishamswimclub/

redtulips123 Wed 18-Jan-17 20:04:44

Thanks for all the tips. I will follow up with these swim clubs. Thanks for giving me a starting point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now