Opinions on new University of Cambridge Primary and St Albans

(5 Posts)
FurlaBag Sat 09-Jan-16 15:22:13

Would be so grateful if you could share your experiences of these two primary schools as my youngest is due to start reception next September and I can't make up my mind about which one to put as my first preference.

northofcambridge Sun 10-Jan-16 08:47:16

Hi know someone who has their kids at university primary school and very impressed. i don't know anything about St albans. they are quite a distance apart? I would imagine they are very different in loads of ways too. Is either your nearest primary school? I would recommend putting your nearest school somewhere on your preferences. Are you Catholic and is this aspect of St Albans important to you? I assume you have visited them both? I don't think university school is over subcribed at the moment as not much of the housing has been built but if you don't live near by and have another younger child that might relevant in the future. I would imagine that St Albans is over subcribed so it will depend on quite a few things how likely you would be offered a place anyway. There are loads of threads on the main mumsnet primary school part on admissions and what you need to consider. The most important thing is to have on your preferences a school you are likely to get a place that you are happy with. Sorry for the essay!

DiskFix Sun 10-Jan-16 12:43:10

This was recently in the paper
www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge-University-Primary-School-breaks-mould/story-28486157-detail/story.html#2

northofcambridge Sun 10-Jan-16 19:40:12

This is useful www.mumsnet.com/education/primary/getting-your-child-into-preferred-primary-school-tips

GirtonGirl Tue 12-Jan-16 22:11:25

I don't know anything about St Albans, but I know a lot of people who have children at the new University Primary school who are very happy with it.
I don't think there are any catchment children yet, but this does not mean they have lots of space - the article linked above says they have 118 children in 4 classes which means 2 spaces, which are probably in either year 1 or 2. It is also in the middle of a building site and the only car access is from Huntingdon Road (I think).

But if you like the look of it, then go for it. How far away you live will affect whether or not you get a place.

Make sure you have a safe local school as one of your options though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now