St Luke's vs Mayfield vs other schools north of cambridge

(8 Posts)
cathville Tue 17-Nov-15 10:22:52

We are moving to the area just north of Castle just before Christmas and we are right in the middle of the catchment for St Luke's and Mayfield. My son is 5 1/2 and is in Year 1. He's very clever, but quite shy. I'd really like to get opinions on which of these would be the better school for him. They both are Offsted 'Good' so I'm not sure which to choose...

Thanks!

Wuffleflump Tue 17-Nov-15 14:36:26

Could also consider the school on the new northwest Cambridge development. You'd be out-of-catchment, but since the development is currently empty they will be admitting out-of-catchment for a couple of years www.universityprimaryschool.org.uk/

More of a risk, but as it's part of the University they're being very ambitious with their educational goals.

ChestertonCharley Wed 18-Nov-15 13:13:19

Arrange to visit them both/all and go with your gut instinct.

northofcambridge Thu 19-Nov-15 07:01:32

Agree do visit them - do you have younger children - also consider where they will go - so university one may be a risk in the respect. Also do any have places?

McDoogle Fri 20-Nov-15 17:48:39

Hi, I'm a mum at St Luke's and have 2 very different happy children there. We are delighted by their warm, inclusive, strong community ethos. The children are both thriving and we are very happy with their teachers and their future ones. The school has in recent years sky rocketed in demand (many classes now being over subscribed - I hear), this is due to an improved OFSTED (which many parents feel is over due) and a strong head (we have a new head starting after Christmas). I would strongly recommend going round both schools and meeting the heads, I know there has been a series of open mornings at St Luke's but i'm not sure if they've passed. The OFSTED is a great guide, but nothing quite like gut instinct and seeing the place for yourself!
I don't know Mayfield or anyone that goes there - so can't comment! Hope that helps smile

chatty126 Tue 15-Dec-15 13:04:40

Hi,

My ds is also 5 1/2 and is in year 1 at St Luke's. We've been very happy indeed with the school. The kids in year 1 are lovely and almost without exception they are all clever and rather shy little people, so your son would fit right in.

If you look back at the ofsted inspection report you will see that the reception class teaching got a grade 1 result and it is that class that is now year 1, so your son would be joining a very well taught group.

The things that mark St Luke's out as being a bit special are that it is rather a gentle school where kids are looked after very much as individuals. There are only 30 kids per year so every staff member knows every child well.

The playground is large and very relaxing to spend time in. It is open after school for the kids to stay and play and a lot of parents stay with their children which really helps with making friends. There is also a good after-school club which is run by school staff and is only open to the kids in the school. I have looked in the window often and the children seem very settled and happy.

My son went to the Mayfield pre-school which also had very nice children in it, so I think that Mayfield would also be a nice option. It has 60 children per year and has its own swimming pool, so you might like to consider whether swimming lessons would be a pro or a con in your own child's eyes.

Other than that I'd only echo what other parents have said, which is that it's really best to visit. You will know very quickly from the atmosphere, whether the school is right for your child. It can also be a good idea to just show up at 3.15pm and talk to the parents. They will be very happy to have a natter and you will see the chemistry among the parents and children which really helps.

It's probably a good idea to get names down soon as you will need to wait for a child to leave before a place becomes available. I'm not aware that anyone in ds's class is planning to leave.

I have name changed to post this btw, but please do ask any further questions if I can help.

Good luck!

WilderRose Tue 15-Dec-15 16:01:39

I am sure Mayfield and St Luke's are great schools. However, talk of 'nice' children makes me wonder what you are implying about children from other schools?
Just saying.....

cathville Thu 21-Jan-16 10:43:14

Thanks for all the advice! All schools in the area are full at the moment, so we may not have any choice in where we go, but this is really great info. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now