Fireworks Display at Cambridge

(10 Posts)
HweeJing Mon 02-Nov-15 22:29:20

Hello! I've just moved to Cambridge a month ago and am still settling in. There's going to be a fireworks display this coming Thursday at Midsummer Commons and I'd like to bring my 3 year old to attend. Am thinking it'll be really crowded so would like some advice on where would be a good spot to stand/sit to catch an unobstructed view of the fireworks display. Thanks in advance!

jsp56 Tue 03-Nov-15 10:26:51

The fireworks display is always massively crowded and I'm not sure there is really a good place other than just going to the park where the fireworks are fired from. Some people go to the mound behind the castle pub on castle hill as that is the only tall place to watch from but it's very small on top with very steep sides, and honestly you'd see the fireworks better by going to the park where they are fired. Cambridge is very flat, so there aren't really good viewing locations as there might be in other places.

Wuffleflump Tue 03-Nov-15 12:23:33

The following roads (and surrounding access roads) will be closed from 6.30pm - 8.30pm (approx) on the day of the event:
Chesterton Road
Victoria Avenue
Maids Causeway
Elizabeth Way
Limekiln Road

They will be non-moving for some time before, and all the non-closed roads will be rammed.

If you have to drive, leave lots and lots of time, and you still may have parking problems. This is one event I'd even advise that cycling isn't ideal: you'd have to dismount is busy areas, the bike will take up space, and you probably won't be able to park it.

If you're walking, will be slow, but you should be fine!

Last year I saw people taking in the view from Riverside bridge, which is rather pleasant looking across the watermeadow. Won't get the bonfire or ground-level fireworks, though.

cambridgedavid Tue 03-Nov-15 12:56:49

In the past I've always found it easier to cycle to this event as it feels like 99% of the residents of Cambridge attend and the pavements are blocked with people, whereas with the road closures the roads are pretty empty for cycling. And the Common is surrounded by railings so you can usually get a space (just as you can at Strawberry Fair which is held at the same place).

This year we're considering attending a smaller display at local allotments as we feel our 3 year old will be scared by the main display. The Common is very crowded, the fireworks are amazing but very noisy and there is a big funfair for older kids as well.

ChestertonCharley Tue 03-Nov-15 13:20:15

Rather depends where you're coming from.

We stand by the river between Elizabeth Way bridge and Ferry Cutter bridge. Again you miss the ground level ones, but it's not too crowded, far enough away to be less noisy for little ones, and also away from the funfair temptations for the ones who think they're not so little!

HweeJing Tue 03-Nov-15 21:55:32

Thank you everyone for the information! Most helpful. We can only walk as we don't have a car and I don't have a bicycle yet. With a 3 year old in tow who's already tired out from a whole day of nursery, keeping him away from the funfair temptations is an extremely good idea. Once again thank you!

SiliconJen Tue 03-Nov-15 21:56:46

If anyone is looking for a smaller display the one at oakington is usually very good. I think it's on Saturday 7th this year. There's a long edge to the firework area IYSWIM so you can normally be right at the front to watch the display. Plus you can park at the rec or close by.

SiliconJen Tue 03-Nov-15 21:58:07

Cross post! Oakington not much good if you don't have a car!

Lizardc Wed 04-Nov-15 22:57:30

We are looking for a display which we can watch from the car. Our boys like the sight of fireworks but are terrified by the bangs. Any suggestions for a village display where we can watch from the safety of the car? Obviously w won't see the ground level ones but hopefully the high ones still ok?!

AnotherEmma Wed 04-Nov-15 23:02:27

FYI the funfair has been cancelled because a woman was seriously injured, she got caught under a lorry transporting one of the rides sad

But the fireworks and bonfire are still going ahead. If you live in Cambridge and can get there relatively easily (by foot, bike or public transport) it's well worth going. It's crowded but a family friendly atmosphere, and the fireworks are always brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now