childcare options S Cambridge?

(9 Posts)
NewScientistCamb Tue 28-Jul-15 12:42:50

Just wanted to get some local info-- we are moving to Great Shelford at end of August. Need to find full-time childcare for a 2.5 year old, and the nursery closest to workplace (Kids Unlimited @ Addenbrooke's) is full until next Sept. shock

Any feedback on local childminders? Other nurseries in the area? Starting to get a bit desperate! Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

austengirl Sun 02-Aug-15 08:26:37

Afraid I don't have any info on childminders. We're on the waiting list at Sawston nursery for Sept 2016 (our first is due this Nov). We looked around there and Rainbow day nursery in Trumpington; they're both good but we preferred Sawston. I'd ring them both now and see if they've got any spaces; it might be a long shot but you never know. A neighbour recommended a nursery in Newton that takes over 2s, so it may be worth trying there as well.

Best of luck, childcare seems a tricky thing to arrange around here. I'm very near Shelford if you fancy meeting up for a coffee after you get settled.

Tid1 Sun 02-Aug-15 09:52:19

You could try little hands nursery in Newton. I think rainbow is full as I have friends who have children there and no space to add another day.

flessan Sun 02-Aug-15 17:31:42

Little Hands in Newton was great 10 years ago. Don't know if it still is. The Shelford village pre-school (Rainbow) is fabulous, but a community thing run by parents (staffed by professionals though) so only does morning sessions. But they might know the local childminders?

Duxy5 Sun 02-Aug-15 21:23:41

My 3 went to Babraham Nursery, which was excellent. No idea what their waiting lists are like now though.

One option might be Granta Park Nursery (Great Abington), or the one on the Sanger campus in Hinxton.

npa30 Tue 04-Aug-15 14:50:45

millington road is nice - in newnham though. Bunnybrookes at Addenbrooke's may have spaces (but has a poor reputation). It is so hard with a preschooler, I share your dilemma. We have gone down au pair route but yours is a little young. Maybe a nanny share?

doctorgeek Tue 04-Aug-15 14:54:55

Unfortunately you may really struggle. The Hinxton nursery is now a workplace nursery so you need to be working on campus to use it, and the Babraham nursery might as well be (priortiy is given to campus staff). Sawston nursery has a good reputation but again last I heard was full.

NewScientistCamb Tue 04-Aug-15 22:41:35

Ah thanks all for replies, I've been off mumsnet for a few days and just saw them!

Will check out the ones mentioned, but as a PP said, I'm worried we will be struggling. One childminder I contacted said she was full, and she didn't know anyone else to recommend. hmm

Londo Tue 11-Aug-15 15:31:56

Try Kids Unlimited in Fulbourn. It isn't as far you think from Great Shelford
www.kidsunlimited.co.uk/nurseries/fulbourn-fulbourn/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now