Birthday party venue for a 2yo in Cambridge - please help!

(8 Posts)
marushka82 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:02:50

Hi everyone, I'm trying to organise my DD's 2nd birthday party at the end of July and I'm looking to book a small venue as I'm not sure I'd like to have it at home (we are renting a 2 bedroom flat and have no garden sadly sad

There won't be a huge number of children, 7 tops (if all can attend) plus a few extra parents and friends (probably 20 people in total including us?)

I tried Brownsfield (it would be ideal as they have a play area) but they are not taking any bookings for weekends at the moment (it has to be on a weekend as we are both working FT). Cheeky Monkeys was my other option but their minimum number is 12 (I'm assuming this is the min number of children, rather than guests).

Do you know of any other cheap alternatives? Or maybe you have experience of organising the party at home? I have to say I have no idea how to entertain toddlers!

Any suggestions and help appreciated!

NewtoCambridge Wed 10-Jun-15 19:15:33

As it's summer and there's not many of you, how about meeting at the park and taking a picnic with you? Somewhere like Jesus Green could be lovely, children can play for ages, then all sit down and have something to eat. There are even a few BBQ stands on Jesus Green if you fancy

ChestertonCharley Thu 11-Jun-15 12:42:36

We had DS1's 2nd birthday in Coleridge Park with a picnic. I'd say any city park would be fine, but one with a paddling pool might be best (Coleridge or Newnham).

Otherwise there's the Botanic Gardens (take some bread for the ducks), Milton Country Park or Cherry Hinton Park.

marushka82 Thu 11-Jun-15 16:00:38

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I suppose a picnic is great as the kids won't wreck our (already pretty wrecked ;) rented flat!

Now I need to figure out how to pack all the supplies and food onto our bikes :D

Lizardc Fri 12-Jun-15 19:59:02

We had my son‘s 2nd birthday party at Milton country park. We took a chance on the weather and got lucky, but you can the upstairs area of the cafe of you want a back up plan. Also cafe is handy for tea and coffee etc for the parents! We have also used the Ramsey Hall at St Luke's
Church on Victoria Road for parties. They have a kitchen you can use as well as an outside area so very nice.

Lizardc Fri 12-Jun-15 20:00:08

That should say BOOK the upstairs area of the cafe...

niminypiminy Fri 12-Jun-15 20:21:19

How about the park behind the Abbey Swimming Pool? Quieter than Newnham or Coleridge, now has a fantastic new splash pad with fountains you can run in and out of and new play equipment, plus trees for shade. Plus there's a large free car park that always has space (unlike Newnham or Coleridge).

It's lovely -- on the edge of Coldham's Common and not very well known so people don't think of it. When the children were little we had several birthday parties there.

northofcambridge Sat 13-Jun-15 13:10:18

what about this - its fun day out - and actually the next public day is tomorrow
www.cambridgemes.co.uk/index.php/public-running

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now