Thinking of Relocating to Cambridgeshire

(3 Posts)
sempla Mon 08-Jun-15 12:20:10

Hello wise mums,

I need your help. My husband and I are thinking to relocate to Cambridgeshire from the busy Ealing in London, we have a budget of 400k and we would like to be able to afford a 4 bed. My husband will need to commute to Kings Cross and he would like to have about an hour journey. We have two small children (they will soon go to primary school) so good school catchment area is quite important.

We are after small towns or big villages where the life is not too busy but not too quite.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so so much!

austengirl Wed 10-Jun-15 20:38:46

If you want to be in a village, but close to a train station that serves Kings Cross, you're more likely looking at places between Cambridge and Hertfordshire--Foxton, Shepreth, Melbourn/Meldreth, Ashwell and Morden and Baldock all have stations, and are within driving distance of Royston if he wanted to pick up a train there instead. They're nice villages, and fairly quiet. We looked at houses in the first 3, and Melbourn is the biggest of those. Hitchin also seems popular, though a fair bit bigger than the villages above.

Some friends just moved to Henlow in Bedfordshire as they felt priced out of Hitchin. They seem to like it and his journey from Arlesey station to King's Cross is 40-45 minutes. Biggleswade and Sandy (on the Peterborough-KX line) may be worth a look too. I'm not sure how far your budget is going to go in this area, as it's pretty pricey, though I say that having lived up north for a long time--you may well find it better than or not much different from London. Rightmove/zoopla will give you a better idea of what you can get.

Afraid I don't know much about the schools in those areas, as I'm in a different part of south Cambs, but lots of luck in your search. I hope you find somewhere right for your and your family.

jaynebxl Sat 11-Jul-15 08:50:35

Bit late but Waterbeach has a train station and you could probably get a 4 bed for 400. Nice village.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now