Playgroups

(10 Posts)
CazPowell2 Wed 08-Oct-14 10:02:05

Hi there.

My 14 month old needs to start interacting with other children, she was at nursery for a few months when i went back to work and she loved playing with the other children but I'm now a stay at home mum and i think she misses the company of other kids, can anyone recommend a decent playgroup in Cambridge please?

It has to be in Cambridge as we live in Cambridge and don't drive. Also I've seen a few playgroups held in Churches but their websites suggest the playgroups are religious too, with religious songs etc and we are in no way religious.
Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks All

Caz
x

Lizardc Wed 08-Oct-14 22:42:52

They are so many! Depends which area of Cambridge you're in....?

In my experience, although the 'religious' aspect of church groups varies, most are very good and you can ignore the religion bits if you want to (and some have none anyway).

CazPowell2 Thu 09-Oct-14 16:39:47

We are in Fen Ditton Area, but i can get to the centre of Cambridge etc no problems.

Yeh there is a church near Tesco on newmarket Road that has a playgroup i might try that one but was unsure how religious it was, and i feel rude actually asking them!

ChestertonCharley Thu 09-Oct-14 20:49:16

How about Romsey Mill Surestart centre on Mill Road?

Hanl30 Thu 09-Oct-14 21:17:14

Apparently city bus in Newmarket Road isn't religious. I have Nanny friends who have been there. There is St Paul's on a Monday in Hills Road which is run by Homerton children's centre. Always worth looking what they provide. www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/cambschildrencentres/

CazPowell2 Fri 10-Oct-14 15:18:18

Hi,

Thanks for that!
I might try out City Bus for definite then.

Yeh i have had a few bad experiences with my local childrens centre which put me off them - the first time i went there a fight broke out between the mothers, pushing, shoving, swearing......! And everytime i try to go to Wean and Weigh the doors are locked......i press button after button and no one lets me in, i've gotten in once because someone was coming out as i was going in.

Thanks for all the help.

Lizardc Sat 11-Oct-14 19:45:27

Agreed that Citybus is not religious at all. It's a lovely group. Runs term time only, so don't go in the half term week!

There is also Shake, Rattle and Roll on a Friday morning at the East Barnwell Centre, which is a nice music group:

www.shake-rattle-roll.org

Is the local centre you mention The Fields? Sounds like you've been unlucky, as I have been to some great groups there. Mondays Together is nice and includes lunch for the children. And there is a nice music group on a Wednesday lunchtime.

Lizardc Sat 11-Oct-14 19:50:31

As for Central Cambridge, there is Bounce Around on a Wednesday at St Andrew the Great. That does have a religious element, but it is soooo big with so many toys that you can go into one of the other rooms and ignore the singing part if you wanted to.

There is also lots of things on at Chesterton Children's Centre and Brown's Field (Green End Road) which are all nice groups. I think Christchurch on Maid's Causeway also does a olaygroup a few days a week. Not sure about religious element, but my friend who goes isn't religious as far as I know and she likes it.

CazPowell2 Sun 12-Oct-14 08:23:49

Thanks Lizardc, the shake rattle and roll group looks great, my LO will love it. we try to get to the music session at the fields but she isn't great in the afternoon, she sleeps 2-3 hours so mornings are better.

thanks for all your help!

Caz
x

Mariaga123 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:03:39

Hi Caz,

My 1 year old and I go to Jelly tots- it is a playgroup at the Kings Church (we are not religious and there is nothing religious about this group, it just located in a room in the church), in Tenison road, just off Mill Road.
It runs every Thursday from 10 am - 12.
My daughter loves it theresmile

X
M

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now