Mumsnet Cambridge Local Directory!

(25 Posts)
LocalEditorCambridge Thu 23-Jan-14 10:35:19

We wanted to start this thread to draw your attention to our listings pages. We are trying to create a fully populated directory to make your lives easier. If you need a plumber - you could find one on Mumsnet Cambridge - or a restaurant, dance class, night out and so on.

We will also be listing childminers, au pairs and so on. For example a new Au Pair has just listed her details here:

Au Pair

The listings page is getting a bit busier now so I will highlight any new useful ones using this thread.

Obviously these do not come with a Mumsnet Cambridge guarantee - we are simply the listings page. You, however, can add any reviews and opinions to our listings to help fellow Mumsnetters make informed choices.

Many sections are still looking a bit empty. We are working on these as quickly as possible. If you've got any recommendations please let us know. You might have a builder you would highly recommend, plumber, hairdresser pub.

Do let us know and we will add to our listings page. It would be great to have Mumsnetters' recommendations as we know you are a very wise and clever bunch with very high standards grin

We're here to make parents' lives easier. See, it says so on our logo and everything!

Feel free to use this thread as a way of letting us know who you think should be added to our listings.

ChestertonCharley Thu 23-Jan-14 12:51:36

Here are my recommendations:

Plumber: Claude Hempstead
Off Licence: Bacchanalia
Ante & Post-natal Yoga: Anna Youngs
Swimming: Seals Swimming

LocalEditorCambridge Fri 24-Jan-14 09:49:47

Thanks - will get these on over the weekend!

HUGE help thank you!

Thereonthestair Fri 24-Jan-14 17:52:11

Oh don't go telling people about claud he's hard enough to get as it is. But seriously handyman/decorator James Wells wellsolved, swimming dolphin baby swim, wine merchant cambridge wine, vegetables simon's stall on the Sunday morning market. Will think of more

LocalEditorCambridge Mon 27-Jan-14 20:09:35

Bump smile

northofcambridge Tue 28-Jan-14 20:30:15

coffee stall on the market -is a relative but it is lovely

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 28-Jan-14 20:49:17

north thank you - what's it called? I'll add it on.

Anna Young doesn't do post natal & pre natal classes but does them as 1-2-1s which I've added under pregnancy services.

She now does this class Yoga Bears which looks great.

I've listed many of your other recommendations - those missing will be loaded this week.

Keep them coming - great to have personal recommendations.

northofcambridge Thu 30-Jan-14 21:59:03

Michael Matthew's Fine Teas & Coffees

chintonroad Thu 30-Jan-14 22:00:49

Electrician, Karl at k electrical

NewtoCambridge Fri 31-Jan-14 22:06:06

Swimming: Seals Swimming

Can anyone recommend a hairdresser in Cambridge or Ely, tried Scruffs on BridgeSt, wasn't impressed

chintonroad Sat 01-Feb-14 20:21:00

Just want to put in a recommendatin for Burrs Shoes on Milton Road - bought dd a pair of school shoes there in Sept, and the strap loop thing is wearing away. Went to ask if this was something they could do anything about, and got a replacement pair completely free even though they've clearly been worn every day for 5 months. Not a question asked - very impressed with the customer service.

LocalEditorCambridge Sun 02-Feb-14 12:53:32

Wow Chin that is good. I will put them on the "on the high street" page.

Newto I have been to Toni & Guy a few times and been happy. Had different people each time and they've always been nice. I have to get all my natural grey roots dyed over and think the colour is good.

Only two hairdressers on the system so far and no reviews yet - so any others would be gratefully received - and also if you've had a good experience of where to take DCs

hairdressers

Thanks again everyone.

northofcambridge Sun 02-Feb-14 16:12:58

Hairdressers for kids : http://www.archierogers.com/ which is in Milton is lovely for my DCs and good value too

oh and if you are in Impington this is lovely- really nice cafe
The Geographer

103 Station Road | Impington, Cambridge CB24 9NP,

ChestertonCharley Mon 03-Feb-14 11:39:25

Have to recommend the Cheese Stall on the market! www.cheesestall.com/

ChestertonCharley Mon 03-Feb-14 11:40:16

DSs and DH go to Blue Moon Barbers on Chesterton High Street.

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 04-Feb-14 16:09:22

Any half term kids' camps you like - I'm updating the half term listings at the moment as well.

northofcambridge Tue 04-Feb-14 17:25:16

https://www.facebook.com/thesportacademy

mynameisnt Fri 07-Feb-14 09:44:27

Garry at Scruffs. I have been having my hair done by him since 1996, and would never go anywhere else - yes it's expensive but he is BRILLIANT! (and booked up for months in advance, so be prepared for a wait), but it's worth it. They are all excellent there to be honest.

Pinkbatrobi Mon 10-Feb-14 23:20:58

Seals swimming is excellent, they have small classes and very good teachers! My DS was VERY Afraid/reluctant, and they helped him develop his current love of swimming. I am very grateful!
Place to take kids? Mine used to love going to Cheeky Monkeys, an indoors play area in an ex-barn on the Chaplins farm in Fulbourn...slides, ball pits that kind of thing, and a nice cafe for parents to have a cuppa and a chat while they play. They do parties there too, DD had one there and it went very well.
Fitzwilliam museum if they are old enough to hold a pencil, they have kid's kits of crayons/pencils/ activities... Again, on a rainy day, it was lovely going there with the kids and sitting on front of a picture or anything, really, and try to copy it!
To have lunch in town for mums and or dads is Stoneyard, a little cafe attached to the Korean Church, on Regent street... They make lovely soup and toasties, and baked potatoes, plus yummy cakes...and it's very family friendly, with a play area and a Wendy house - my kids wanted to go there all the time.
Can't think of more now but will post again if I think of something else!

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 11-Feb-14 16:22:38

Fab! Thank you

LocalEditorCambridge Tue 18-Feb-14 21:00:25

Lots more classes have been added, some thanks to your recommendations

Classes

If you can face it smile there is a place for reviews & recommendations!

Thanks again for all your ideas. They are going on there, bit by bit...!

northofcambridge Tue 18-Feb-14 22:05:42

do add waterbeach library - it does a story time on monday and a books and babies on friday - its an access point but just lovely

KateZwMc Sat 22-Feb-14 18:12:32

Fratelli on mill road is a great new hairdressers! 2 brothers that used to work at Toni and guy have opened it - they're both lovely and fab at cutting hair.

LocalEditorCambridge Mon 17-Mar-14 14:53:14

I will do - I've been busy doing Easter things and holiday clubs so a bit behind. But please keep adding your best of Cambridge and I'll put on the listing page.

Can be anything - we have a category for just about everything. Newsagents to lawyers to swimming classes etc.

Thank you!

ChestertonCharley Sun 23-Mar-14 22:19:50

Fitzgerald also has monthly (I think) activities for pre-schoolers (and great coffee)
Also Botanic Garden, with Matthew's Library in the cafe
Michaelhouse 10am Eucharist for pre-schoolers and carers - not to everyone's taste perhaps but a lovely supportive environment with tea/coffee and play afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now