Where to live in Cambridge or around

(10 Posts)
SophieWB Sun 12-Jan-14 15:00:52

Hello, I will move from Paris to Cambridge next August. I follow my husband who will work for one year for the Sanger Institute, Hinxton. We have 3 kids (the older will be in Year 7, the second in year 4 and the younger will be in a nursery). So I have to find a secundary and primary state schools. We have just one car that I think to keep for drinving kids. So I guess we will live not to far from the Sanger or near a bus line. If you were in my shoes, in which area will you search a house ? Thank you very much for your answers.

Shells Sun 12-Jan-14 19:27:20

Hi Sophie,
I'm not a Cambridge person but moved here a year ago with similar aged children. I would focus on secondary school and what you want for your year 7 child.

I think Sawston and Saffron Walden High would be your nearest? I'm not sure.

Almost everywhere has good primaries and nurseries to choose from. And it depends if you want a small village or a town. Saffron Walden is nice.

SophieWB Sun 12-Jan-14 21:33:31

Thank you very much Shells for your answer. I have many questions about secondary school. It is a big change for a child to enter in year 7 even when he speaks the language. so I can't imagine when you are foreigner and doesn't speak English (just few words). I really want to find a good school for her. But we can't find a school before getting an address...which we will probably have in June or July. Do you think we can find an acceptable school at this time or is it too late ? I Heard about Saffron Waldon, do you know its secondary schools ? In fact, I am not really looking for a school awarded for its exam results...We will stay one year and my kids will study French cursus by correspondance. I just want to find a school with a quiet and family atmosphere where she will feel good to learn English.

Shells Mon 13-Jan-14 00:41:49

I haven't been to Saffron Walden high school but I hear good things about it. You can email the local authorities and ask about places. So you know in advance who has a waiting list.
The school we ended up in didn't have much of a waiting list and we got in pretty much straight away after getting our address. But if they have more than a few people on the list it might be worth thinking about a different area. You don't want to be miles away.
Also, as you say, if its only for a year, its not that important. Hopefully some people will come on tomorrow with some more info for you.

doctorgeek Mon 13-Jan-14 20:07:29

The Genome Campus runs its own bus services in the morning and evenings from Cambridge and Saffron Walden - there are 8 routes in total which drop off at various places. Get your DH to ask for the routes so you can figure out where to live near the routes.

MrsGrowbag Wed 15-Jan-14 19:18:50

It might have changed, but Saffron Walden High used to be oversubscribed, so there would be very little point in applying next summer as they would have allocated out all their places. But do check with the LA (Essex).

Nearly all Village Colleges around Cambridge are fine, high standards, good results, interesting curriculums. I don't know where the bus routes go but certainly Linton VC and Sawston VC are well-regarded. I have friends with dc at Sawston VC who are very happy, they aren't in catchment so I imagine it's not oversubscribed. But again, check with the LA (Cambs). Good luck!

Cantusemyusualnickname Thu 16-Jan-14 13:02:01

Linton Village College was also not over-subscribed last year (which was the first time, I think, for many years). I don't know whether Linton Heights Junior School is likely to be full or not. I would check out the work bus routes to see where your husband could catch a work bus. Both Linton and Sawston Village Colleges are good schools. Saffron Walden County High tends to be oversubscribed, so not so easy to get a place, even if you live in catchment.

orchardy Thu 16-Jan-14 14:01:33

Cambridge also has an international school, (private), if you're able to pay fees. That might suit your children if they are only staying one year...

http://cambridgeinternationalschool.co.uk/

But just to reassure you, Cambridge is a very international place and in any primary or secondary school there will be children who are native French speakers.

SophieWB Fri 17-Jan-14 23:26:37

Thank you all for your piece of advice. It is very kind. International school seems to be very good but we can't pay...I have to give up my job to follow my husband and he is a French researcher... so I let you imagine ;-)) If Saffron Walden High School used to be oversubscribed we run the risk of being sent to another college far from our home. I took a look to Sawston and Linton VC's website. They seem to be very good too and not so far from Hinxton.

Simonar70 Tue 30-Dec-14 22:34:09

Hi SophieWB

I am now organising our relocation from Paris to Cambridge!
Would love to know how yours turned out andwhich area you finally chose..
My kids will be 5 and 2 next rentrée ..
Simona

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now