Half Marathon

(19 Posts)
mynameisnt Tue 31-Dec-13 10:38:13

As I am completely mad, I am doing the Cambridge HM in March - is anyone else doing it??

Elephanthawkmoth Fri 03-Jan-14 23:20:25

I'm not doing the HM but I have just signed up to the HooHah 3x10kms next year. They are at Ixworth, Wimpole and Hatfield forest I'm really looking forward to them, just need to do some training . How far can you run at the moment?

neolar Fri 03-Jan-14 23:49:59

Yes. I am. But am crap at running. Was supposed to have been training for the last two months, but have sat on my arse eating cake instead. I did the Cambridge 10K in October, but since then have only done a few 3 miles runs. Am aiming for a "get me round" time.

mynameisnt Sat 04-Jan-14 11:12:54

Excellent grin Am also pretty hopeless at running! Started in June and can just about manage five miles. Hopefully will be able to run at least half of it! like the sound of the hoohahs..I'll look into them.

I run on my own at the moment. Does anyone do it will a group or a club? I don't know if I'd fancy that.

LocalEditorCambridge Sat 04-Jan-14 12:37:17

I'm busy finding running clubs / sports clubs / person trainers in time for the January NYE resolutions.

Here's what I've found so far and put on the listings. Park run looks great, says me who can just about break into a trot if my toddler is in danger wink

local.mumsnet.com/cambridge/running-clubs

If you go along to any of them feel free to add a review as any kind of feedback makes the listings page more reliable for other users.

smile

mynameisnt Sat 04-Jan-14 14:58:57

I keep planning to go to park run, but there's always been a reason why I haven't made it..Today, I have a stupid bad back grin

Elephanthawkmoth Sat 04-Jan-14 20:38:05

Park runs are fab a lovely friendly atmosphere ( I do the wimpole one) but only it's only 5k so not much help for getting your distances up.

mynameisnt Sun 05-Jan-14 10:02:11

I will definitely trythe Milton one- hopefully next Saturday. grin

SummerLightning Mon 06-Jan-14 12:35:28

The sweatshop at david lloyd gym near cherry hinton/Mill road does runs every Monday and Weds at 7pm. Easy/beginner run monday, hard one Wednesday.

They are free, I haven't been but DH goes sometimes. He says the Monday one is easy and the Wednesday one is too hard for him (wimp!)

mynameisnt Mon 06-Jan-14 12:43:50

I keep thinking I may join in with themDo you just turn up?....

SummerLightning Mon 06-Jan-14 13:06:00

Yep you just turn up, think you might have to fill in a form before your first one.

mynameisnt Mon 06-Jan-14 13:26:01

Ok. I always thought it was an elite club for those well toned and super speedy types, as I slunk past them on my way to the sauna grin No excuse now!!

SummerLightning Tue 07-Jan-14 09:25:17

you don't have to be a member of the gym by the way, in case anyone is wondering, sounds like you are mynameisnt if you're going to the sauna!

mynameisnt Tue 07-Jan-14 10:28:00

I used to be grin DH still is but I wasn't using it enough to justify it (he said) sad I do go in with him sometimes though! he's one of these there every day types!

SummerLightning Tue 07-Jan-14 11:45:34

I want to join but it's sooo expensive. It's really good for kids though. I wouldn't go and do much myself in the actual gym though, prefer exercising outside.

<sorry derailed from half marathon talk>

mynameisnt Tue 07-Jan-14 15:28:30

We originally joined in 2004 when it was next generation as had a 4 year old at the time he loved it and then when we had dd now 8, she also loved it - have been on and off since then, but it has got really pricey - and some of the members are absolutely vile grin
To be honest, I only used it for the pool which gets stupidly busy at times anyway , and the treadmill on occasions., whereas dh is on all the machines most days! he gets his money's worth and has that male ability to ignore the dickheads!

neolar Tue 18-Feb-14 14:23:11

Resurrecting this thread. How is everyone's training going? Just seen the signs going up around town about road closures on 9th March. Very exciting.

mynameisnt Wed 19-Feb-14 10:59:16

I am really fed up as have had to pull out. I had some surgery in January which ended up with some pretty unpleasant complications which set my training back quite considerably sad I am back running but daren't push myself to do this one. Am, however, signed up for the Histon one on June 1st.

ChestertonCharley Wed 19-Feb-14 15:24:21

I couldn't get into the Cambridge one but have also signed up for Histon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now