Swimming classes

(9 Posts)
doyourworst Mon 30-Dec-13 11:10:25

I have two DCs, one 5 and one 3, neither of whom can swim but both are happy in a baby pool, can stand and walk in the water, confident to play, etc. I'd like to get them enrolled in some swimming lessons, think they could probably both start in the same class, ideally on a Monday after school. Does anyone have any experiences/suggestions/recommendations?

Peggetty Wed 01-Jan-14 09:56:38

Hi,
My DD is learning at the Abbey pool. They have various levels every night and weekends. They have recently changed management and the clerical staff seem to be 'feeling their way' a bit but the teachers and lifeguards are the same.
She started in the second group as she was nearly five but she didn't have the confidence in the water so they let her go in the first group during a halfterm daily crash-course, which was great. John who is in charge of swimming does it and he is very good with beginners.
Since that crashcourse she has returned to her group and loves it. I like it as there is free and ample parking. If we get there early we play in the playground behind the pool.
HTH

Peggetty Wed 01-Jan-14 09:57:40

And to actually answer your question (!) I guess you'll have to ask whether their stage one class is OK for both your DCs.

NewtoCambridge Wed 01-Jan-14 20:29:25

We use Seals swimming, would recommend them. It's worth having a chat to them on the phone, but my guess is they would both be in the same class if they are about the same level, they seem to have children who are within about a yr or two in age. In summer term my pre-schooler was in with two girls in reception and one in yr 1

SummerLightning Fri 03-Jan-14 16:36:24

Hi, I was in exactly the same situation (kids are 5 and 3), and I had trouble finding places that did lessons for both at similar times. Most places seemed to do the preschool lessons at a different time (i.e different day, etc)
Mine are now enrolled at Seals (Linton) starting next week. Obviously don't know how good they will be yet (but recommended by people at my work). They don't take kids until 3.5 though so depends how old your 3 yr old is. Also they like the 3.5 year olds to take a crash course before they start, but they agreed to take my daughter as I told them she is very happy in the water and has been pestering for lessons.
They told me they would be in different classes, but the times I have been sent are the same, so I am not sure yet whether they are in the same class or not!

neolar Fri 03-Jan-14 23:51:08

Seals Swimming is very good. They will take them from 3 1/2.

ChestertonCharley Mon 06-Jan-14 13:13:05

Seals Swimming here too. They do their best to put siblings in classes at the same time or one after the other at a pinch.

theA14 Tue 14-Jan-14 21:42:21

I've tried what was Everyone Active at Kings Hedges (would now be the same company as the Abbey Pool, I guess), Elite Swimming Academy and Seals and I would say Seals were best in every regard. (price, admin, teachers, progress made)

doyourworst Tue 11-Mar-14 13:04:11

Thanks for all the suggestions. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now