Anyone else still waiting to hear about primary school places?

(17 Posts)
Gryphon Thu 18-Jul-13 18:04:35

I'm getting worried; we didn't learn we were moving to Cambridge until after the January deadline, but supposedly they were supposed to make second-round decisions on June 11. But (after waiting 2 weeks for a reply to an e-mail) I just heard that my daughter's application is still being processed. Is this unusual? What are the odds of getting into any of our top 3 schools at this point? This will be her first year of school, and I'm anxious for it to go well!

WilderRose Thu 18-Jul-13 18:06:32

Have you checked whether the 3 schools have places?

Gryphon Thu 18-Jul-13 18:13:36

Not sure how to do so. . . I found a chart of "Reception Year Allocation Information," but my daughter is going into year 1 (which is different, right?) Our top 2 schools are on the oversubscribed list on that chart (but our top choice is not also on the chart of schools that have reached their legal Infant Class Size limit. Not sure whether this matters or not! I'm coming from the U.S., and this whole process is mystifying!

NewtoCambridge Thu 18-Jul-13 20:29:32

Have you tried ringing them? I needed to ring about something and they did ring back in a day. The impression I go was that there spaces in quite a few schools, others had short waiting lists apart from the usual candidates such as Milton Rd (which seems to having a bit of a backlash from some in catchment mums)

MarronGlace Thu 18-Jul-13 23:54:48

Have you called the admissions team at Cambridgeshire County Council? They're usually pretty good:
01223 699200

WilderRose Fri 19-Jul-13 03:52:04

More hope if year 1 I think. Children do move around over summer holiday so may be small gaps. Phone admissions tomorrow. Schools break up soon so asap if you want to contact any school that might have places.

Gryphon Fri 19-Jul-13 03:58:23

So I should contact the schools directly? I would have thought that was against the rules, somehow. . . I've not wanted to call the admissions team, I suppose because I don't want to make things worse by annoying them! Do the schools themselves have any say in admissions, or is it all the council?

WilderRose Fri 19-Jul-13 06:39:47

Ring admissions to ask if there are places at the moment/ or if a waiting list.
I don't think any harm in ringing the schools. If possible, you may want to visit them. [Obviously not an option if still in USA].

NewtoCambridge Fri 19-Jul-13 10:51:35

Ring the admissions team. I had to to check something and they were really nice and helpful. She was very clear they were open all over summer and would be happy to help.

MarronGlace Fri 19-Jul-13 13:30:59

You're not bothering them, that's what they're there for

Gilby Wed 31-Jul-13 00:44:12

Definitely call the admissions team- we also missed the January deadline but made it for the second one and heard 2 weeks later- largely as I kept bothering the poor admissions team. Which schools did you go for, btw?

GregAndAndrea Tue 13-Aug-13 22:01:24

Were you able to get this resolved? We were also in the same boat, missing the Jan deadline, and we heard back reasonably quickly. I've talked to the admissions team a couple of times, and they were helpful and friendly.

Gryphon Mon 26-Aug-13 21:43:39

We still haven't heard anything, except that we won't be getting any of our preferred schools; they're looking into sending her somewhere across town in a taxi! Sounds bizarre to me. The admissions team hasn't been especially helpful. I finally reached one person this week who seemed surprised that we hadn't heard anything since our application has been in since early May; she's the one who investigated and told me the above info. Otherwise, I've just been told to hang up and send an e-mail instead, and then they don't respond. Frustrating. . . wondering whether it's too late to get into a private school. Any advice?

WilderRose Mon 26-Aug-13 22:37:00

Where across town have you got?
Don't know about private schools.

Gryphon Tue 27-Aug-13 17:08:59

They've finally offered us a place--but it's at Coleville Primary, which is more than 5 miles away, and they won't provide transport! The buses don't go between there and our house, and a five year old can't possibly be expected to walk more than ten miles a day! What do we do now??

WilderRose Wed 28-Aug-13 22:18:12

Gosh, 5 miles across Cambridge is a pain.
It is a shame nothing available closer. If this is the only primary available, 5 miles away, surely they have to provide transport?

Elephanthawkmoth Wed 28-Aug-13 22:24:07

If this is the only school they can offer and it is over 2 miles for primary then they should provide transport .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now