boy's school places

(51 Posts)
sikorsky Wed 30-Jan-13 19:51:43

Can't see DS2 getting into school of choice. Maths homework particularly traumatic this evening! Trouble is, there aren't enough places for boys in the independent schools in cambs. Don't want him boarding just down the road, and not keen on traipsing to Ely every day. Is St Mary's EVER going to start taking boys? His Godmother's daughter loves it there.

IzzysMum2010 Wed 03-Feb-16 14:27:57

Hi,
My daughter is at the Heritage School in her second year. We totally love the school. My daughter does there happily each day and comes home so full of exciting things she’s learnt. My husband is already finding she knows more about history and music and art than he does and my mother who has taught maths and further maths to teenagers who go on to Oxbridge is seriously impressed with the methods and level of my daughter’s maths already!

I worked with Cambridge students and have many friends who conduct the entrance interviews every year for 6th formers applying to Cambridge. So often I hear from them (and we read in the press) that it’s hard to find students who can think for themselves, who have a love of their subject, who have interested minds and a thirst for knowledge and understanding. I have to say that when students from the Heritage apply for university they will be these longed for applicants. The Heritage fosters a love of learning, an interest in the world, in science, in literature and every area I can think of. Just going for a walk with students from the Heritage School is eye opening and they spot birds they can name, notice what pipes have been exposed by the road works and recently at Windsor Castle I thought a room didn’t have anything interesting for children in it when my daughter piped up and named all the kings and queens in the portraits on the wall that I hadn’t even noticed.

The Sports teaching and facilities are incredible. The Heritage is across the road and is able to use the best pitches and pool in Cambridge. Mr Hulett is a role model for the littles ones right up to the oldest teenagers and the success in sports matches is brilliant. My son is the sort of boy who will love rugby and will need running about and I am 100% confident Mr Hulett and his assistants will teach him the skills and character needed to enjoy sport competitively.

I am so thankful I heard of this school. I have a friend who is a fit and sporty guy who loves to work outdoors and yet interested in history and physics and classical music. I asked him how he got his love of learning as I couldn’t picture him sitting in a library all day. He explained that he had been taught about history by visiting castles etc and he opened my eyes to the methods of the school. After that I knew the Heritage was where I wanted my children to go and it’s hasn’t disappointed. The parents and teachers are very supportive and chatting in the playground actually outweigh the stress of the school run.

orchardy Wed 04-Sep-13 23:14:25

Don't know why I am revisiting this thread because private school not an option for my boys... but have just seen an ad on Trumpington Road saying that a daily bus is now running from Cambridge to Culford, in Bury. Seems a very long way to go for me, but thought I would post anyway...

cebcam Wed 03-Jul-13 22:38:43

Heritage is a nice, nurturing school but has some heavy behavioural issues going on in some classes

Irony Tue 21-May-13 00:00:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JennyWren1234 Tue 14-May-13 09:51:41

This may interest some of you. Unfortunately not soon enough for us - www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Girls-school-that-inspired-St-Trinians-to-let-boys-in-20130514000100.htm

kinvorbud Wed 13-Mar-13 07:09:56

Thanks for the offer of coffee! Sadly, with the bump doing what it's doing at the moment and ejecting the contents of my stomach three times an hour, not sure coffee and cake would be wise! Will let you know when the All Day Morning Sickness subsides... Roll on August. Speaking of which, does anyone know of anything herbal that can slow down pregnancy and keep the blighter in there till September? Don't want to be caught up in all this August baby hassle if I can avoid it. Or do I just cross my legs and hope?!!

JennyWren1234 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:05:12

Thanks Coffee. Do you have DCs on the waiting list at SW, following the Open Day?

Coffeenut6 Tue 12-Mar-13 18:36:29

Hi. Love coffee but lack the time. Really appreciate the offer though. Enjoy your chat on Monday and good luck with the applications.

JennyWren1234 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:26:23

Coffee I wonder if I saw you there! As Marron says we are meeting up for coffee next Monday. PM one of us if you are interested (your name suggests you might be smile).

Coffeenut6 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:48

Visited Sancton Wood at recent Open Day. Liked what I heard. Hopeful that spaces will become available.

MarronGlace Fri 01-Mar-13 18:33:32

Hi everyone. Me and JennyWren have decided that it'd be more fun to talk about boys' school places over coffee in Cambridge and we're thinking for to meet-up Monday 18th. If anyone else is interested please PM!

JennyWren1234 Wed 27-Feb-13 08:25:24

Marron Yes, some of the classrooms a tad cosy! They certainly might not pick 1st come 1st served if there is too much of an uneven balance between boys and girls in a year. The admissions secretary told me that and I think that's a good thing. They also have a maximum number of children for whom English isn't their first language and a maximum number of children with additional needs I think (looking at their prospectus). Will PM you about coffee!

MarronGlace Wed 27-Feb-13 06:49:18

I've got one in YR5 and one in YR6 at the moment and they're both on the list for Sept. 2013 or later if there are no spaces this September. I think they can't take more than 16 per year group because the rooms just aren't big enough. Have you see how crammed they are?
I did like the Head's speech (I didn't go to this open day but I did go to one in October last year). Wasn't so keen on the Admissions Secretary though. She didn't give me a lot of confidence that they'll pick on a first come first served basis.
what did you think?
Perhaps we should meet up and have a moan about this over coffee!

JennyWren1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 22:17:35

Sorry, might not have been clear. Mine on year 7 list for next year Sept 2014. He's in year 5 at the moment. Is your's year 6 at the moment?

MarronGlace Tue 26-Feb-13 20:44:06

Exactly Jenny. My DS is on that list too, for Y7!

JennyWren1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:53:03

Yes, I went. No spaces in DS's year and a few on the waiting list too. I hadn't really appreciated that they didn't take extra pupils at year 7, so if the year is full in the junior school, then you are just waiting for someone to leave.

MarronGlace Tue 26-Feb-13 19:31:52

Anyone been to Sancton Wood's open day? Did they say they had spaces?

Oots Tue 26-Feb-13 13:47:56

How old is your boy? You could try St.Andrew's College in Cambridge from the age of 14. It is often perceived as an international school but actually I know several British students there, who have had a really positive experience. The classes are small I believe and its size means that students, who for various reasons may not feel comfortable in a large college, feel less intimidated. Would save having to travel to Ely, as it has its main building on Regent Street.

kinvorbud Sat 23-Feb-13 09:39:33

Am starting to think that the length of this thread indicates that there is a real market for either a new boys' school or for one of the girl's schools to go co-ed. Let's hope that someone out there picks up the ball and runs with it within the next couple of years!

Noyoben Fri 22-Feb-13 23:41:45

Have been to look at the Friends School Saffron Walden, seemed a nice place (looked for a place for 7+ entry). It had a quite 'serious' feel about it- but again I hear good things. It took me the same amount of time to drive there as to Stoke by Clare (although further but less traffic)- driving into Saffron Walden directions was difficult before 9am. Stoke has nice atmosphere- quite a few children from Linton and closer to Cambridge commute there. They seem very happy and is a well rounded experience- they do lots of fun extracurricular activities and has flexi boarding (very few places)

greatauntbulgaria Fri 22-Feb-13 18:08:54

The Friends School in Saffron Walden run a Cambridge bus iirc

BikeRider33 Fri 22-Feb-13 08:00:10

I know lots of children at Bishops Stortford college. But they are more local.

I think the problem you have is that people are prepared to commute over an hour for the Perse (my dc did for a while and friends still do that door to door) but are not so sure about the value of the other schools. BS also has longer school days and Saturday school (which is why our dc weren't keen), but does offer flexi boarding so could reduce commute on some days. The results are going up and it is quite sporty. Might be worth a look. It is a brisk walk or quick cycle from BS station or a 45 minute drive. Guess if you are London commuters you could drop ds at school then get the London train from BS.

sikorsky Thu 21-Feb-13 21:01:33

Bikerider33: thanks! Hadn't thought of there. Is it not a bit far? What about Bishop's Stortford College? Does anyone know anything about that? Never hear of anyone at DSs' school going down there. Why...?

Noyoben Thu 21-Feb-13 20:07:09

If you are North of Cambridge... have heard very good things about Kimbolton- haven't heard about pick-up in Cambridge but a lot of the schools do. Not been to the School myself, but have two sets of friends with children of varying ages that are very happy there. Will go and see it before we have to leave Phoenix.

Noyoben Thu 21-Feb-13 19:55:44

There is also a lovely school called Stoke College (Stoke by Clare) on the other side of Haverhill and they pick up on the South side of the City (Cherry Hinton) just before 8am. It is a lovely nurturing school and we are thinking of sending our son there after the Phoenix... They had some children going on to Hills Road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now